Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8696 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         30 May 19 00:12:55
Кому : Björn Felten                                        30 May 19 00:12:55
Тема : Pvt node with a CM flag, but without contact info
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5cef095e
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5cec0778
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:221/1+5cef4cf8
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5cf11a88
Hello Björn,

On Monday May 27 2019 17:51, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> Binkd does not use the nodelist at all.

BF>    DUH?

The nodelist clercks had made such a mess of listing IP nodes, with umpteen different ways of specifying the host address and the flags that the developers of binkd threw the towel in the ring and made no attempt to include a nodelist parser in binkdp. All binkp does is read its own config.

MvdV>> Binkd has its own config while from which it extracts the
MvdV>> information.

BF>    Produced using the latest nodelist, yes. At least on this system.

Point is: your nodelist parser that reads the nodelist and that produces a config file for binkd is NOT part of binkd. Therefore your claim that binkd can deal with IP nodes listed with the Pvt keyword is false.

MvdV>> It is your nodelist to binkd config convertor that accepts it.

BF>    Can you think of any mailer that uses the raw nodelist without any
BF> compilation going on?

Dutchie comes to mind, when sending mail it performs a lineair search on the raw nodelist. The first ZC2, Henk Wevers, was the author of Dutchie and that is why the Z2 nodelist has zone 2 listed first. Most mail is to one's own zone and so the lineair search is faster on average that way.

BF> My TCL (BBS program) and my FrontDoor (old mailer) both have to
BF> compile it's own nodelist each week.

FrontDoor is a package. It comes with its own diff processor and nodelist complier. Unlike binkd...

MvdV>> This is what FTS-5000 says:

BF>    Since binkd is now the most common mailer, if any FTS contradicts
BF> how binkd uses the nodelist,

Binkd does NOT use the nodelist. It is your nodelist parser, which is not part of binkd, that does it.

The nodelist parser that I use to create my config for binkd dos is fifferent from yours. It follows FTS-5000 unless explicitly told to make an exception on a per node basis.

BF> it's the FTS that is wrong and not binkd. Per definition.

Your definition is wrong.

MvdV>> Versions of MakeNl that allow "-Unpublished-" without Pvt have
MvdV>> been available for DOS, Windows, OS/2 and Linux for well over a
MvdV>> decade.

BF> I know. I was the one person that dragged the reverse engineered
BF> version of MakeNl from obscurity into a real project, and was single
BF> handedly responsible for removing all the old DOS specific crap in it,
BF> making it into a compilable new version.

Whatever. It was a group of German sysops that made a compilable source code by reverse engineering. That is how MakeNl came into being. The ALLOWUNPUB option was added later. The ALLOW8BIT option was added by Andrew Leary on my suggestion.

Then it took another 12 year battle t convince the ZC's to actually allow the use of ALLOWUNPUB.

It is ironic that you mention Fontdoor. There was a lot of pressure from the Frontdoor community to get rid of the Pvt for IP only nodes. Reason: Frontdoor could NOT deal with it. The Pvt prevented it from "dialing" out to such nodes.

MvdV>> Don't you think we have reached the point where there is no excuse
MvdV>> for NC's still using a version of MakNl that forces them to use the
MvdV>> old method of listing IP only nodes as Pvt?

BF> WTF has this to do with allowed node listings?

FTS-5000 states that Pvt is for nodes that are operational but not publically available for direct contact. IOW it should not be used for IP nodes.

An exception is made for the case that the *C's nodelist processing software has no "allowunpub" capability. NB: EXCEPTION!

BF> I was the first *C ever to run a Y2K patched version of MakeNl. I made
BF> it myself. Do you really think this has anything to do with any *C
BF> running a 20yo version of MakeNl?

Yeah... Jezus fucking Christ!! Decoupling "-Unpublished-" from "Pvt" took 15 years You are an FTSC member. You were there all the way. You were there when it was implemented in MakeNl. You were there when the ZC's finally allowed it. You were there when it was documented in FTS-5000.005. You had every opportunity to provide input and exert influence. Progress is adopting new things, but it also is clearing out old stuff to make room and get rid of the ballast.

It has been a 15 year batttle. And now that we are finally there, why are you such an asshole? Why the fucking HELL won't you just loyally play along!?

No cheers, Michiel