Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8762 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         14 Jun 19 13:29:31
Кому : Henri Derksen                                       14 Jun 19 13:29:31
Тема : Pvt node with a CM flag, but without connect info.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d038aa9
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+5211655d
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+5cc7610b
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+53027f72
Hello Henri,

On Thursday June 13 2019 17:59, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> I don't see why anyone would want to run a zoo on a mobile
MvdV>> platform.

HD> Look at the Ark of Noach, it is a big ship with all kind of animals
HD> ;-).

"is"?? So where is it? Where can I see this great attraction?

HD>>> people who only live mobile, i.e. in a motorhome or ship and
HD>>> donot have a fixed home of wood and/or stone at land,

MvdV>> That answers the question of "who". Not "why".

HD> Also why, because they donot have a fixed connection.
HD> I.e. POTS, Central Antenna Cable and Fibre are impossible.

That answers the question of what they can not. Not the question of why they want it in the first place.

HD>>> which I would liked to, but it seems to difficult to realy
HD>>> realise that at my age, at first financially ;-(.

MvdV>> So for you it is a castle in the air. Forget it.

HD> At first site yes, but you never know. It could be suddenly still
HD> possible. You never know. May be tomorrow I find a woman living on a
HD> ship, and we could have a click? Or a large sum of money is comming to
HD> my side from somewhere ;-).

Yeah, and pigs will fly and I will be an astronaut after all...

MvdV>>>> It is not practical. Better hire space at a hosting provider.
MvdV>>>> Much cheaper and far nore stable.

HD>>> So I donot have to run a FidoNet station at home?

MvdV>> It is not my cup of tea, for me the kick is running the server
MvdV>> in my own home on my own hardware. There are sysops however who
MvdV>> hire space (physical or virtual) in a data center and run their
MvdV>> Fidonet system from there.

HD> The same here.

But if running a Fidonet node in a data centre is what you can have and running it on your ship while on the move is what you can not have, what will you choose?

A close member of my family always wanted the dush that was not om the menu. From the 1000 on the list, it wanted # 1001 that was not avaialble. It ended up with nothing. No sole mate, no children, no job. Nothing. People who always want the impossible, instead of make do with what they can have, end up empty handed.

MvdV>>>> Yes, IPv6 has provisons for that.

HD>>> So in that case it is interesting for mobile users.

MvdV>> May be. I haven't heard much about it as yet...

HD> I know Kees and you do have a fixed part at the IPv6 number that ends
HD> with the FidoNet Node number, right?

We have, and we are not the only ones. Look in the list of IPv6 nodes for "f" in the "remarks" colum.

But it has nothing to do with mobile.

HD>>> So I ones did the same with my old (2006) Siemens MC60 2G
HD>>> GSM/GPRS. 9600 bps indeed worked to get a connection with my own
HD>>> BBS at home, when I was at the computerclub in Rijswijk near The
HD>>> Hague with my GSM then.

MvdV>> That is something different. You wre using the connection to
MvdV>> read mail as a USER. You did not run a server that could accept
MvdV>> incoming calls.

HD> Ok, that could be a try once?

For a server you need a stable routable public IP address. I have not yet found a way to get one on a mobile connection. So forget it.