Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8776 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         17 Jun 19 00:08:38
Кому : Henri Derksen                                       17 Jun 19 00:08:38
Тема : Pvt node with a CM flag, but without connect info.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d06c485
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+53027f72
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+5493552f
Hello Henri,

On Saturday June 15 2019 02:58, you wrote to me:

HD>>> Look at the Ark of Noach, it is a big ship with all kind of
HD>>> animals ;-).

MvdV>> "is"??

HD> Yes.
HD> Look at the website: <http://www.arkvannoach.com>

Ah, that one. Nice try.

MvdV>> So where is it?

MvdV>> Where can I see this great attraction?

HD> Try Wageningen, or read the website.
HD> It is a Dutch ship build on an inland barge, about 76 m long, 11,45 m.
HD> wide, about 2,50 m. depth, and about 8 m. high. It is the second one,
HD> they first had a smaller one.

You must have seen the old one. The second one is almost twice as big. 136 m long and 30 m wide. According to the website.

I suppose this is an answer to the question why anyone would want to have a zoo on a ship. Though one could question if a collection of domestic animals such as sheep and goats qualify as a zoo. The giraffe and elephant do not count, they are statues.

MvdV>> That answers the question of what they can not. Not the question
MvdV>> of why they want it in the first place.

HD> Of course for the same reason people ashore would want to run their
HD> own servers.

They are not the same people. People living a nomadic life on a ship are not the same people as people with a fixed residence. Different people, different needs. Nomads have learned to do without things that require a fixed base of operation. The nomadic lifestyle is build around things that what (s)he can carry around.

MvdV>> Yeah, and pigs will fly and I will be an astronaut after all...

HD> That chances are far more away, then the ones I mentioned.

The point is that you can't speak for those that live a nomadic life on a ship without a permanent fixed base of operation. You are not in that position.

MvdV>> But if running a Fidonet node in a data centre is what you can
MvdV>> have and running it on your ship while on the move is what you
MvdV>> can not have, what will you choose?

HD> Of course it is possible to get a mobile node with a fixed IPv4 adres,
HD> only the price for it may be very expensive,

If the price is beyond affordability, then it is impossible in practice.

HD>>> I know Kees and you do have a fixed part at the IPv6 number that
HD>>> ends with the FidoNet Node number, right?

MvdV>> We have, and we are not the only ones. Look in the list of IPv6
MvdV>> nodes for "f" in the "remarks" colum.

HD> Who says that is not possible with mobile devices?

As it is, you can not have an IPv6 address from a Dutch mobile provider.

MvdV>> But it has nothing to do with mobile.

HD> We already know IPv4 is hardly possible at mobile devices,
HD> but IPv6 ?

AFAIK, not yet.

MvdV>> For a server you need a stable routable public IP address. I
MvdV>> have not yet found a way to get one on a mobile connection. So
MvdV>> forget it.

HD> A tunnel, IPv6 adress, or mobile Phone Number could be a solution for
HD> that. The only question is, does somebody already tested it
HD> successfully?

Not that I know of. I am sure that if someone will manage to run a long time stable fully fledged Fidonet node on a mobile connection, we will hear about it.