Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8786 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         24 Jun 19 01:29:47
Кому : Henri Derksen                                       24 Jun 19 01:29:47
Тема : Pvt node with a CM flag, but without connect info.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d100b6d
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+5493552f
Hello Henri,

On Tuesday June 18 2019 20:12, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> People living a nomadic life on a ship are not the same people
MvdV>> as people with a fixed residence.

HD> The basic needs are the same for every one,
HD> only the source may differ, or the amounts of it.

Running a server is not a basic need. The vast majority of people on the Internet gets along just fine with client only apps.

MvdV>> You are not in that position.

HD> Not now any more, but I have family and many friens who are,

Your case would be much more convincing if it came fom someone who actually lives on a vessel and has no other residence and wanted to run a server...

HD>>> Of course it is possible to get a mobile node with a fixed IPv4
HD>>> adres, only the price for it may be very expensive,

MvdV>> If the price is beyond affordability, then it is impossible in
MvdV>> practice.

HD> For me yes.
HD> But for others who can spend more money it could be possible.

Or not.

HD>>> Who says that is not possible with mobile devices?

MvdV>> As it is, you can not have an IPv6 address from a Dutch mobile
MvdV>> provider.

HD> That's a big omission, and that will slow down the IPv4 to IPv6
HD> migration.

Yes. It is one of those many things that are beyond my sphere of influence.

HD>>> We already know IPv4 is hardly possible at mobile devices,
HD>>> but IPv6 ?

MvdV>> AFAIK, not yet.

HD> Then ask for one.

Me? Oh, no, no, no. Not me. I am not the one wanting to run servers on a mobile platform.

HD> You are the IPv6 promotor and also traveling by car and home on wheels
HD> for hollyday's and then fidonetting with a Point system. If you had a
HD> fixed IPv4 or fixed IPv6 adress, you could run a mobile Node.

I have no desire, disposition. aspiration, inclination, tendency, propensity, proclivity, need  or aptitude to run a mobile node while on the move with my camper caravan. The point setup works just fine.

MvdV>>>> For a server you need a stable routable public IP address. I
MvdV>>>> I have not yet found a way to get one on a mobile connection.
MvdV>>>> So forget it.

HD> So ask you provider(s). If there is no demand, they will not start it.

I am not the one with the demand. I have none. YOU are the one claiming there is a demand. So YOU do the leg work.

HD>>> A tunnel, IPv6 adress, or mobile Phone Number could be a solution
HD>>> for that. The only question is, does somebody already tested it
HD>>> successfully?

MvdV>> Not that I know of. I am sure that if someone will manage to run
MvdV>> a long time stable fully fledged Fidonet node on a mobile
MvdV>> connection, we will hear about it.

HD> I hope so.

Instead of hoping, why don't you take the lead? Fire up a mobile node and demonstrate that a stable and reliable service is possible. Maybe others will follow.