Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8813 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         31 Jul 19 16:43:23
Кому : David Rance                                         31 Jul 19 16:43:23
Тема : Every coin has two sides
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d41b7ef
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d416c40
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d42bc58
Hello David,

On Wednesday July 31 2019 12:24, you wrote to Björn Felten:

What has been looked at as "odd" from this side of the channel, is that a change of Prime Minister can be decided on by a mere 160,000 citizens of the UK. Here the result of a PM resigning would be general elections, so that ALL voters have an opportunity to decide on how to go on.

DR> Positive? Well he is as far as his own views are concerned. We are
DR> being left in no doubt as to what he wants to do but, to use an
DR> English expression, he's "playing to the gallery".

Dutch: "Voor de Bühne".  ;-)

DR> Today he's in Northern Ireland trying to persuade them that they don't
DR> need the back stop. Oh boy!! Talk about fireworks!

I'd rather call it a ticking time bomb.

DR> And he's not afraid of saying that we must prepare for a no deal
DR> Brexit, knowing that the EU don't really want this and will avoid it
DR> if at all possible.

That may be a mistake. I am not the only one voicing "if they want to go, let them go"

DR> Whether this rhetoric pays off or not remains to be seen but he has
DR> always believed that a no deal will not be the disaster that so many
DR> believe. It would hurt the EU as well as us but will it hurt them
DR> enough to be willing to make any concessions?

I doubt it. The uncertainty has done a lot of damage already anyway. That would not go away even in the unlikely event the the Brexit were cancelled. The EU has repeatedly stated that there will be no more negotations. The deal made with PM May is the final deal. Take it or leave it.

Another delay? Doubtful. Don't forget that another delay needs the fiat of all 27 remaining EU countries. Some of them are losing their patience and it needs just one to say "no". The sentiment of "let's get it over with and move on. Deal or no deal" is growing.

Yes, a no deal Brexit will hurt the EU. But more delay will hurt too. As will making concessions. Making consessions is like paying when one is blackmailed. The demand for more will never end. OTOH, the pain of a no deal Brexit will go away again. Plus that many preparations for a no deal Brexit have already been made.

I think the EU will call BJ's bluff.

DR> Well, I don't know. But, although I'm not sure whether Boris is on the
DR> right track, he is certainly livening up the country. The UK were sick
DR> and tired of hearing about Brexit because nothing was happening. Even
DR> the thought of a no deal Brexit brings more excitement because it
DR> makes us feel that it would be a positive step, instead of the
DR> negative disaster that everyone thought it would be. At least it won't
DR> happen by accident now!

Yet, that it propably what will happen anyway. No one really wants it, but too many irreversible steps have been taken already and there is no reset button.

DR> Yes, BJ is positive. But will he be successful?

That depands on what his goals are. To me it is not all that claar yet. If he wants to stay PM for the next five years? Probably not.

If he wants a Brexit with a better deal? Most likely not.

If he wants a Brexit no matter what and make the people of the UK believe that "Brussels" and "Dublin" are to blame fo the disaster? Probably yes.

DR> And if he is, on what will his success depend? We are now in the
DR> throes of the greatest soap opera we have ever seen! The old
DR> script-writers ran out of ideas. The new ones are writing somewhat
DR> dangerous scripts and it's exciting. That is the Boris effect! Time
DR> will tell if we are all lemmings!

He certaianly makes a show that is interesting to watch!

DR> Oh, and while I think of it, the ex-Fido sysop is now Minister for a
DR> No Deal Brexit!!! What a claim to fame for Region 25!!!

;-)