Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8833 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         05 Aug 19 11:48:32
Кому : David Rance                                         05 Aug 19 11:48:32
Тема : Brexit once again
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d47fb71
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d47edfe
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d480f32
Hello David,

On Monday August 05 2019 10:51, you wrote to Björn Felten:

DR> No, we were fed a whole lot of untruths in the last referendum.

And you still are told untruths by Boris Johnson. The other day I saw a video of Boris Johnson claiming EU regulations requires kippers to be accompanied by an ice bag when send over the mail. This is not true, it is not an EU regulation, it is a UK regulation:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49030873

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/18/boris-johnsons-claim-eu-forces-kippers-pa cked-ice-pillows-exposed/

This seems a minor thing, but it begs the question: "what else are you being lied about?"

DR> It's so easy to sway a population. Look at the way the Pharisees
DR> swayed the crowds again Jesus.

And look at the way BJ is swaying the crowd against the EU.

DR> Anyway, you're doing a bit of scare-mongering yourself:

BF>>   Such as:

BF>>   A) The border on Ireland to the North Ireland (that the UK
BF>> insists on keeping). Now just a change of colour of the middle
BF>> line of the road from white to yellow when you pass the border.

DR> The border is a complex issue.

"Complex" is politicianese for "I have absolutely no idea on how to deal with this problem".

The Irish border was a mission impossible fromn the start. What the UK wants...

1) Leave the EU.
2) Have Northeren Ireland remain part of the UK
3) Keep the border between Nothern Ireland and the Republic open.

 ... is impossible. Two out of three is possible, but not all three of them.

DR> If that is ignored then the Troubles will start all over again, with
DR> its consequent loss of life.

It HAS been ignored al the time. Diplomats have told the UK government that it was impossible, but they were ignored. So prepare for the return of the troubles..

DR> If there is one thing that has prevented Brexit, it is that. What the
DR> EU wants to put in place with the backstop, in fact, stops us from
DR> being free from the EU. And what the UK insists on is that Northern
DR> Ireland will not be treated any differently to the rest of the UK.
DR> Northern Ireland doesn't want unification with the Republic, it wants
DR> to remain in the Union. *That* is the root cause of the inability to
DR> agree to the present deal.

Because it was impossible from the start. In the end the people of Northern Ireland will have to make a choice. A choice about where the border between the UK and the EU will be. In the Irish sea or between Northern Ireland and the Republic. Either way, there WILL be a border. Not merely a line on the map but a real border, with barbed wire, customs and passport control.