Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8838 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         05 Aug 19 15:35:59
Кому : David Rance                                         05 Aug 19 15:35:59
Тема : Brexit once again
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d48361f
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d47edfe
Hello David,

On Monday August 05 2019 10:51, you wrote to Björn Felten:

DR> The border is a complex issue. If that is ignored then the Troubles
DR> will start all over again, with its consequent loss of life. If there
DR> is one thing that has prevented Brexit, it is that. What the EU wants
DR> to put in place with the backstop, in fact, stops us from being free
DR> from the EU.

Pesenting the wish to keep the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland open as "what the EU wants" is misleading. It is a consequence of the Good Friday Agreement. An agreement between the UK, the seperatist and the unionist in Northen Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The EU is protecting the interest of it member state Ireland, But that is not the only party concerned.

DR> And what the UK insists on is that Northern Ireland will not be
DR> treated any differently to the rest of the UK.

Is it what the UK insists on or is it what Westminster insists on?

DR> Northern Ireland doesn't want unification with the Republic, it wants
DR> to remain in the Union.

Are you sure about that? From what we see here, the people are divided. The catholics want to join the Republic and the protestants want to remain in the UK. The EU and the Good Friday Agreement have made the matter largely irrelevant. With the border being just a virtual line on the map, each could pick the identity of their choice. The IK leaving the EU changes that.

It would seem that in the past the protestants had the majority. But it is shifting. Now there are probably more catholics than protestants and a referendum may very well result in "join the "Republic". If not today, then maybe next year.