Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 17 Apr 24 19:37:57, всего сообщений: 12479
= Сообщение: 8864 из 12479 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         16 Aug 19 00:23:43
Кому : David Rance                                         16 Aug 19 00:23:43
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d55dfc5
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d55997c
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d565fba
Hello David,

On Thursday August 15 2019 19:42, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> Jeremy Corbyn plans for a vote of no confidence against Boris
MvdV>> Johnson with the object of getting himself appointed Prime
MvdV>> Minister pro tem.

DR> Yes, I read about that. Interesting development which shows how much
DR> anti-Boris feeling there is in the UK at the moment. It does look as
DR> though Boris is trying to procrastinate until there's no time left to
DR> do anything about it. He's simply trying to manipulate Commons
DR> procedure in order to get his own way and this is what a great many
DR> MPs are trying to stop.

As seen from this side what is mostly shows is that the UK is divided to the bone...

MvdV>> He plans to postpone the Brexit, arrange for a new referendum
MvdV>> and new elections.

MvdV>> Is such a "coup" possible in the Brittish system? Can he really
MvdV>> obtain all the powers of the PM by a vote of no condidence? Or
MvdV>> is this just talk?

DR> Jeremy plans to try to form a government of national unity, that is,
DR> all parties would unite to get the country over this mess. He could do
DR> this if he were to get enough support from all sides of the House. But
DR> then the ousted Boris Johnson would have to go to the Queen and
DR> recommend his successor.

What if he just refuses to do that?

DR> She would then appoint his nominee but that nominee would have had to
DR> demonstrate that they have the support of the majority of the House.

And would he? (or she)

DR> So, theoretically yes, it could happen. The last time this happened
DR> was in World War 2 when Winston Churchill was asked by the King  in
DR> 1940 to form a government of national unity, using the best people
DR> from all parties.

As seen from here "national unity" is not the first thought that comes to mind...

MvdV>> If it is possible at all, is it a realistic scenario? Will
MvdV>> there be a majority for such a coup?

DR> If the MPs consider this situation to be as serious as World War 2
DR> then it could be a possible way forward. But it all depends whether
DR> the MPs themselves think this is realistic and whether Jeremy Corbin
DR> would be the right man as a temporary prime minister.

Will a simple 50%+1 majority do or will it require more like 2/3rd or so?

DR> I'm not a fan of Jeremy Corbin or of the Labour Party, but my own
DR> personal opinion is that I would like him to be able to do what he has
DR> suggested and get us out of this unholy mess.

The problems that Theresa May was unable to solve did not magically go away when Boris Johnson climbed the stage and they won't go away when Jeremy Corbyn becomes PM.

One thing I can say: it is interesting to watch...

DR> David (writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France)

DR> --
DR> David Rance    writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Hé make up your mind! What is it? Mesnil or Caversham? ;-)