Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 17 Apr 24 19:37:57, всего сообщений: 12479
= Сообщение: 8896 из 12479 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         20 Aug 19 10:49:09
Кому : David Rance                                         20 Aug 19 10:49:09
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d5bb7f1
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d5a4742
Hello David,

On Monday August 19 2019 08:52, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> 3) Some would argue that those who claim the referendum does
MvdV>> not represent the true will of the people and another
MvdV>> referendum should be held, are just unable to accept a
MvdV>> democratic decision...

DR> And there Boris and all the leavers would agree with you.

I still say they have a point. The referendum may or may not represent the present will of the people, we don't know that, but it WAS a democratic decision. You can't just redo a democratic referendum because you don't like the outcome.

MvdV>> I didn't make those rules, I just tell it how I see it. Correct
MvdV>> me if I am wrong.

DR> Well, you're wrong. All things in parliament can be speeded up.
DR> Tradition can be overturned because it's not written into law.

Now that I have been watching it for some time, I think many problems you have stem from the fact that so few is written into law and so mmuch is tradition. It appears tradition is harder to change than law...

DR> And the first thing to happen is that another extension would be
DR> sought and, according to what I've read, we don't need the agreement
DR> of twenty-seven countries to do it. But you'll tell me if I'm wrong
DR> there.

I am quit sure that if just one country says no, there will be no extension. In fact it is what almost happened last time. France did not want another extension. They said "another extension will not solve the problem, so let's swallow the sour grapes now an get it over with." The other countries, probably led by Merkel and Rutte, persuaded France to go along with the rest and so the extension was granted.

But now France might say: "see, we were right, the extension solved nothing, we stll have no deal". Quite likely other countries will see it that way too this time. So my guess is that there most likely will be no further extensions.

Cheers, Michiel

... 72 days, 13 hours, 57 minutes and counting...