Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 19 Apr 24 12:15:43, всего сообщений: 12480
= Сообщение: 8897 из 12480 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         20 Aug 19 11:15:39
Кому : David Rance                                         20 Aug 19 11:15:39
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d5bc38f
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d5a8432
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+0e174830
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d5cfc80
Hello David,

On Monday August 19 2019 13:12, you wrote to you:

> [...]

MvdV>>> Pardon my French, but this is baloney. The one calling for the
MvdV>>> referendum was democratically elected. Nobody put a gun to the
MvdV>>> people's head and told them to vote for "leave".

DR>> I didn't say that it *was* a dictatorship, I said it was tending
DR>> towards a dictatorship under the guise of democratic freedom.

You used the word "smacks" which is not in my vocabulary. So consider it a "lost in translation" case.

In any case, I disagree. Yes, the people were not told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. But adult voters know or at least should know, that is what politicians do. And so the voters should take that into account when making up their mind.

DR> Trying to fix the result of a referendum and succeeding is on the way
DR> to being a dictatorship. Dictators are often elected before they
DR> become dictators.

Not telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is not fixing a referendum. It is not on the way to dictatorship, it is part of a mature democracy.

Yes indeed, ever so often elected leaders manage to turn their country into a dictatorship. We see many examples all over the world: Mugabe, Putin, Erdogan...

It is a risk inherent to democracy. It seems that "new democracies" are more vulnareble than the old ones.

Three years ago I would have placed the UK in the lowest risk category. Not any more...
Calling for a new election because the outcome was not to his liking is what Erdogan did with the March election for the mayor of Ankara. He declared the election invalid and ordered a redo. Fortunately it failed, but this is what wannabee dictators do: not accepting the result of a democratic election bcause the outcome is "wrong" and calling for a redo and repeat that until the outcome is "right".

Isn't his what is happening in the UK right now? Attempting to have e new referendum because the outcome was "wrong"?

MvdV>>> Which raises the question: If the people of the UK really
MvdV>>> wanted a new referendum why did they not act before it was too
MvdV>>> late? An oppotunity would heva been when Theresa May called
MvdV>>> for an election.

DR> The facts and lies became far more evident after the election so there
DR> was no call for a referendum at that point.

Oh, c'mon...  From this side of the white cliffs of Dover, it was very clear from the start that what the Brexiteers pesented as fact was untrue.

https://media-cdn.sueddeutsche.de/image/sz.1.3049818/1200x675?v=1518655404

0.35 Giga Pound a week to the EU? Which could be spend on NHS after Brexit? Sorry, David, any voter believing that deserves what he/she gets.. :-(

DR> Theresa May called the election because she thought, as the opinion
DR> polls suggested that the Conservatives were doing quite well,

So much for opinion polls....

DR> that it would give her an increased majority to make things easier to
DR> push Brexit through parliament. In hindsight I think events would have
DR> been the same even with the old parliament.

I agree. Tradition gets in the way of making a compromise...

MvdV>>> [advocate of devil mode]

MvdV>>> The status quo is that the UK has decided to leave. Has been
MvdV>>> the status quo for over three years. Reversing that decision
MvdV>>> is changing the status quo.

DR>> The status quo is that, at the present moment, we *are* members
DR>> of the EU and that's what we would be voting on.

A member that has decided to leave...

DR> It depends on what the referendum asks us to vote on. If the question
DR> is, "Should we overturn the result of the previous referendum" then
DR> that is the status quo. If a new referendum ask the same question as
DR> the last time then that presupposes the status quo is that we are at
DR> present members of the EU.

But of course the Brexiteers would never agree to a 2/3 majority in the latter case.

Cheers, Michiel

... 72 days, 13 hours, 11 minutes and counting...