Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Mar 24 23:03:50, всего сообщений: 12459
= Сообщение: 8943 из 12459 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         13 Sep 19 23:42:54
Кому : David Rance                                         13 Sep 19 23:42:54
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d7c17c2
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d79289c
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d7cadbe
Hello David,

On Wednesday September 11 2019 19:02, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> My expectation is that it will be interesting to watch how his
MvdV>> successor will be selected...

DR> It is traditional that alternately a member of the two largest parties
DR> is chosen. As Bercow is a conservative the next Speaker will be from
DR> the Labour ranks.

That assumes after the next election Labour will still be one of the two largest parties. That may not be the case...

Other than that: In times of turmoil, tradtions can be broken.

DR>>> But the news this morning is that the Scottish Supreme Court has
DR>>> ruled that the prorogation of Parliament was illegal on the
DR>>> basis that Boris called it for his own selfish reasons.

MvdV>> I am puzzled. My intuition says that a Scottish court has
MvdV>> jurisdiction in Scotland. Not in the rest of the UK. Am I wong?

DR> No, you're not wrong. But the ruling of the Scottish Supreme Court is
DR> a precedent. When it comes to be discussed in the UK Supreme Court,
DR> the precedent of the Scottish Court will probably be taken into
DR> account. This is how the legal system in the UK works.

I am still confused. So the Scottish Supreme court set a precedent by ruling on an issue outside their jurisdiction? I'd say that would make such a ruling null and void...

DR> The Scottish Court were brought into this because someone in Scotland
DR> asked them to give a judgement on it.

But unlike the court that was asked to rule on it before, they did not declare themselves out of order?

MvdV>> What if a Scottish court says "yes" and an English Court says
MvdV>> "no" om the same issue? Scottish law vs English law?

DR> The UK court's ruling will have the force of law.

I was referring to the "English Supreme Court". But now I understand there is no such thing.

DR>>> Next week the UK Supreme Court will also consider the subject.
DR>>> Never a dull moment.

MvdV>> Is that the equivalent of a US Federal Court?

DR> I suppose so, although Scotland has a supreme Court because of
DR> devolution. England doesn't have one.

What about Wales and Northern Ireland?

DR>>> Also the Labour Party cannot decide whether to have another
DR>>> referendum before or after the next election!

MvdV>> If they can not choose, someone else will make the choice for
MvdV>> them...

DR> No, someone else won't. If the Labour Party win the next General
DR> Election the leader (who will then be prime minister) will decide.

If Labour wins the next election, the Leader can no longer decide to hold a referendum /before/ the election. /That/ decision will already have been made. Time machines do not exist.

DR>>> Oh, and if the Liberal Democrats win the next election they've
DR>>> just said that they will cancel Brexit - assuming it hasn't
DR>>> taken place, of course!

If they do not specify the minimum conditions under which they want to stay in the EU, they make the same mistake as the Brexiteers when they made the people vote just "remain" or "leave" without specifying the conditions and the consequences.

One can not assume that the UK and the EU can just kiss and make up and go on as if nothing has happened. The EU will have some demands...

MvdV>> The LibDems are a small party. The chance that they get a
MvdV>> majority is small is it?

DR> No, they're not a small party in the country. They run a number of
DR> local councils. They have a small number of MPs at the moment simply
DR> because of our first-past-the-post system of voting

Ah, yes that odd system...

DR> but they field a candidate for pretty well every constituency in the
DR> country. And more recently they have been coming second in election
DR> results rather than third or fourth. If the public are fed up enough
DR> with the Conservatives and Labour and vote for the Lib Dems it's not
DR> inconceivable that they might have enough MPs to form a government.
DR> Not likely, I agree, but these are strange times and I've never known
DR> such dissatisfaction with the two main parties. After all, look at the
DR> support the Brexit party has been getting.

You mean in that election for EU parliament? Indeed, it would seem that the anti-EU sentiments are still pretty strong among a significant fraction of the UK people despite the fact that they by now they must realise they have been leid to about the benefits of leaving. I would not be all that surprised is a new referendum would result in a "leave"...

DR>>> scriptwriters?

MvdV>> That was a long time go. Since then a lot of water has flowed
MvdV>> through the Thames, the Tay, the Severn and the Foyle...

DR> The Severn is not a Welsh river. It runs for a little of its length
DR> along the border between Wales and England but it is an English river
DR> (and actually the longest river in the UK!). If you want an example of
DR> a Welsh river, try the Towy or the Usk

OK, thanks for the correction.