Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 9001 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         17 Oct 19 17:57:47
Кому : David Rance                                         17 Oct 19 17:57:47
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5da88f7c
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5da871d8
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5da89708
Hello David,

On Thursday October 17 2019 15:51, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> It would be very stupid for the UK parliament to reject the
MvdV>> deal. To me it seems a last chance to avoid a no-del Brexit.
MvdV>> So I hope they come to their senses. We will see.

MvdV>> It will be interesting to watch.

DR> Just had a news flash that Jean-Paul Juncker has ruled out granted
DR> another extension. Presumably that's because BJ has asked that we
DR> shouldn't have one. But surely that's up to the 27?

That BJ asked for it is an assumption. It need not be so, it could very well be Juncker's own idea. Or he has asked around and heard that at least one or more of the 27 will vote against another extension. It is obvious that Juncker's patience is at end. He wants this over and done with and I assure you he is not the only one. Indeed the final word is up to the 27, but Juncker is a big influencer and as I mentioned before, another extension requires a unanimous decision. Maybe Juncker just volunteered a prediction. It just takes one out of 27 to say no...

DR> BJ has done this in order to try to force an acceptance of the deal
DR> through Parliament on Saturday. But, knowing our MPs, that is not
DR> necessarily going to work! Agreed, it would now be stupid to vote it
DR> down but the problem is that the Brits just don't like being told what
DR> to do.

The Brits are not the only ones that do not like that, but let's face it, the day that Brittania rules the waves are over.

DR> Well, one can't say that BJ lacks leadership. In itself he's achieved
DR> a miracle in getting the negotiations reopened and the agreement
DR> changed (albeit a little) when he had been told it was impossible.

Indeed, he performed a miracle and for that alone he deserves a place in the history books.

DR> I think there is grudging respect here for what he has done. That may
DR> be enough to get him through.

I hope so. I also hope that the MP's realise this is their last chance to avoid a no-deal Brexit.

DR> If he succeeds then he'll call a general election and will probably
DR> win. That in itself is enough for the Opposition to try to vote him
DR> down on Saturday. In *that" case, when BJ calls a general election, he
DR> will still win as the country will perceive Jeremy Corbyn's opposition
DR> to the deal as simply a political manoeuvre.

Indeed, so for BJ, it is a win/win situation. Which means the opposotion can't win. The sensible thing to do is "if you can't beat them, join them".

DR> Watch this space ...

We will...