Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 03 May 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12492
= Сообщение: 9178 из 12492 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         24 Dec 19 17:51:42
Кому : David Rance                                         24 Dec 19 17:51:42
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5e024561
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5e01f00a
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5e026a08
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+5d59a7a3
Hello David,

DR> There will be a war of attrition. Nicola Sturgeon is a strong
DR> character (unlike the ex-leader of the LibDems). She is clear about
DR> what she wants. In some respects she is very much like Boris in that
DR> she is a popular figurehead for the Scottish people and she is not
DR> going to let this drop.

A leader that clearly says what (s)he wants is what the voters seem to like...

DR> However, Boris has the whip hand because he can simply say that
DR> they've already had a referendum on independence in which the Scots
DR> voted to stay in the Union. They have to have his permission to hold
DR> another referendum and I don't think it likely that he will agree to
DR> that in the short term, at least until the fallout from Brexit has
DR> settled and probably not for at least five years.

We will see. Bu I am not so sure he can ignore the Scottish people until the next election...

DR> When you think about it, if we should carry out the result of the
DR> referendum on Brexit, then the logic is that the Scottish independence
DR> referendum should also be obeyed. What's the difference?

1) The Brexit referendum was not the firts one,. There already was a referendum in 1994? where it was decided to remain. If the Brexiteers can have a second referendum, so can the  Scottish Independers I say...

2) The situation when the first Scottish referendum was held was totally different. By remaining part of the UK they remained in the EU. Now they leave the EU when remaining in the UK.

DR> Boris has got logic on his side.

Logic and politics do not mix very well. Logic would be to let the four parts of the UK vote seperately for three options:

Does (England|Wales|Scotland|Northern Ireland) want to:

1) remain in the UK and remain in the EU.

2) remain in the UK and leave the EU.

3) leave the UK and reamain in the EU

4) leave the UK and leave the EU.

DR> But even more telling is the fact that, with an overall majority of
DR> eighty in the Commons, it isn't likely that Boris will ever have to do
DR> any deals with the SNP.

Exactly. It is in Boris'hands. For now....

DR> Northern Ireland? No idea where we're going with that. Maybe nowhere,
DR> but who can tell? Shall we see a united Ireland in our lifetime?
DR> Stranger things have happened!

I think that in the long run we will indeed see a United Ireland. I see no other viable solution. And the unionists are in the minority now...

Will we live to see it? I hope we do. It will be best for all I'd say.

DR> But that's only my opinion. Who can tell who will blink first?

Time will tell..