Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 03 May 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12492
= Сообщение: 9187 из 12492 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         25 Dec 19 00:12:10
Кому : Gerrit Kuehn                                        25 Dec 19 00:12:10
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5e02a037
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+5d59a7a3
Hello Gerrit,

On Tuesday December 24 2019 20:54, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> I think that in the long run we will indeed see a United
MvdV>> Ireland. I see no other viable solution. And the unionists are
MvdV>> in the minority now...

GK> You remember the decades of more or less open civial war we saw there?

I remember it very well. My parents had a "summer residence" in Ireland for almost half a century. I have been there many times over the decades. I interacted with the locals, I had an Irish amateur radio call sign (EI3DL), I toured across Ireland (Republic and NI) with a motorcycle. Yes I am very well aware of "the troubles".

The Friday Agreement and the EU ended the troubles. It was a band aid that could give both sides the idea that they got what they wanted. The catholics that they were part of Ireland and the Protestants that they were part of the UK.

But after Brexit that band aid desintegrates. With the UK out of the EU and the republic of Ireland in the EU, there will have to be a border. In the Irish Sea or between Northen Ireland and the Republic, No way around it.

What I hope is that the people of Northern Ireland will come to their senses and realise that after Brexit "a bit of both" is no longer an option and that they will have to make a choice to avoid another civil war. It is not an easy choice, no way to please all. But a choice wil have to be made or it is "the troubles" all over again.

I'd say that a united Ireland is the least of the two evils...