Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 9276 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         07 Jan 20 13:54:09
Кому : David Rance                                         07 Jan 20 13:54:09
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5e1483cb
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5e107896
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5e14c86a
Hello David,

On Saturday January 04 2020 12:35, you wrote to me:

DR> Everywhere, except the Netherlands it appears, people use credit cards
DR> most of the time.

I know that here in the Netherlands the Dutch people do not use credit cards for day to day use. I never see people pay with a credit card in the supermarket. I don't even know if they accept them. There are no logos on the door indicating credit cards are accepetd. "PIN Crads" OTOH are accepted everywhere. Most supermarkets only accept cash at a limited number of ques tese days...

DR> In the UK we do not pay any yearly fees and now we don't even have a
DR> surcharge when using it with a retailer. My credit card has a cashback
DR> (a small percentage of the total cost of each transaction is refunded
DR> and paid back to me yearly) so, for me, using a credit card is the
DR> cheapest way of making purchases, cheaper even than using cash. I pay
DR> my credit card bill in full monthly so I don't have to pay any
DR> interest.

That begs the question "what is the credit comapny's bussines model?" If it is free for you, you are the product...

DR> And my credit card is with a building society that, when I make
DR> purchases abroad, the exchange rate is the same as the interbank rate
DR> at the time the purchase is made (which means that purchases made
DR> within a few minutes of each other can have a slightly different
DR> exchange rate) and this is always a much better rate than transferring
DR> money to my French bank account.

Of course within the Eurozone there is no exchange rate.

DR> However I also have a debit card which sounds more like what you're
DR> talking about where transactions are charged directly to my bank
DR> account. I very rarely use this to make purchases.

That is the one I almost always use as most people here do.

DR> In fact the only time that I've used it in this way was to buy a car,
DR> a very large amount.

For those occasions I just transfer the money from my account to that of the seller. No card...

DR> But you mentioned a card that you can "charge" with money. They used
DR> to have these in France (called "Monnaie" I seem to remember) and
DR> various banks have tried to bring them in here in the UK, but they've
DR> never been popular and I don't know if they still exist.

Here they are history too. Replaced by the"PIN card" which is now also used for small amounts. I just mentioned them for completenes.

MvdV>> That risk is substantially lower with the "PIN card" system.
MvdV>> That card never leaves my posession. When it is stolen it is
MvdV>> pretty useless without the PIN code.

DR> We had this discussion a year or two back when you insisted at the
DR> time that the PIN is not registered on the card but that the card
DR> machine contacted the bank for it. Well, that may be true for your PIN
DR> card but it's certainly not true for credit and debit cards. They all
DR> have PINs and they are recorded on the card's chip.

Having the code stored on the card is unsafe. I an sure it is not so with our "PIN card". There is no way to retreive the code from the card. Even the banks themselves can not recover the code.

DR> That's how cards can get "skimmed" by anyone with a suitable machine.

Impossible with the PIN card. Of course the code can be obtained by other means. Mostly by social engineering...

DR> This is why, when we use our credit/debit card the retailer is not now
DR> allowed to take it out of our sight. In fact they shouldn't touch them
DR> at all, and should put their portable machine into our hands for us to
DR> enter the card and  the PIN.

Another way to get the PIN code is to use a "doctored" ATM.

MvdV>> Credit cards are not popular here since we can use the "PIN
MvdV>> Card" everywhere. Retailers are reluctant to accept them
MvdV>> because of the risk and the cost. Like the customers they
MvdV>> prefer the PIN Card. With the PIN card the retailer is sure to
MvdV>> get his money.

DR> And so he would with a debit card. If the transaction goes through
DR> then the retailer gets his money.

Indeed.

MvdV>> Credit cards... I consider it a thing of the past decade...

DR> Ah well, the rest of the world has yet to catch up! ;-)

They will. Have patience.. ;-)

MvdV>> How come they get away with it? Here the try as well, but they
MvdV>> seldem get away with it.

DR> Oh yes, it's our fault! It always is! :-|

Those are your words...