Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 9996 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         02 Dec 20 13:31:24
Кому : David Rance                                         02 Dec 20 13:31:24
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5fc7891c
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5fc7761c
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5fd490a6
Hello David,

On Wednesday December 02 2020 12:10, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> United Kingdom citizens who are not resident of a Union Member
MvdV>> State, and United Kingdom residents who are not Union citizens will
MvdV>> no longer be eligible to hold a .eu domain name.

[...]

DR> I have a friend (friends - married couple) who have an .eu domain.
DR> They are Irish but are domiciled and work in England.

From the above I gleen that if they are Irish nationals they can keep the .eu domain despite the fact that they reside in the UK.

DR> I shall be interested to see if they stop using their .eu domain as
DR> from next month.

They probably won't but if I got it wrong, they have no choice in the matter. Their DNS provider has not other option than to discontinue the contract so that the domain becomes available for someone who qualifies for an .eu domain name...

DR> They do have other domains so it'll be no hardship. I would have
DR> thought that they would have an .ie domain.

I suppose they would, just like I qualify for a .nl domain. But when I got around to it vlist.nl was already taken as wre some other interesting ones. So when vlist.eu became available, I knew what to do. ;-)

DR> I don't feel inclined to ask them about it because, whenever I ask
DR> them questions, I can never understand the answer!

Maybe they speak French? ;-)

MvdV>> David, what will happen to your house in France? Do you still
MvdV>> have it?

DR> Yes, I do, but haven't been able to visit it this year because of
DR> Covid. Or, rather, because of my age, I didn't want to go over there
DR> only to find I couldn't get back to England.

I know some people that have a place in Belgium that met with the same problem...

DR> Actually Ann and I made the house over to our youngest daughter about
DR> ten years ago in order not to incur death duties.

Smart move. Unfortunatyely that is not so easy here. It wil be considered a gift and gifts of that magnitude are taxed as well...

DR> It was a good thing we did as we weren't anticipating Ann's death
DR> quite so soon. But I have the usufruits to the property legally until
DR> I die.

Good!

DR> Eleanor and her family went over there in July for four days to tidy
DR> things up and her husband, Sean, went over a few weeks ago to drain
DR> the system for the winter. Sean is an airline pilot and so has a
DR> "free" pass without Covid restrictions as long as it's for work. This
DR> was part of a work journey as he was leaving the firm in France that
DR> he worked for in October, so he flew over to Paris to "hand back the
DR> keys" (as it were!), hired a car to get him to Normandy to visit the
DR> house and back, and then flew on to Hungary to take up his new job.

So he is allowed to make a "detour" when he is working abroad without invalidating the "free pass" ?

DR> As far as the future of the ownership of the property is concerned,
DR> nothing changes.

I hope you won't run into other restrictions after 1 januari...

DR> The news this morning that the Pfizer vaccine being approved in the UK
DR> is most welcome

It was in the news here too. With some critical remarks from the experts who have doubts about the short cuts that may have been made. The EMA who is now reviewing the Pfizer vaccin says they will need three or four weeks in a best case scenario.

DR> (thanks Pfizer in Belgium, where it's being manufactured) and, as I'm
DR> over eighty years old, I shall be one of the first in line to get it,
DR> so I'm looking forward to resuming my visits to Le Mesnil Villement in
DR> the New Year.

I am not that optimistic. I am 74 and here and in this case "old" is 70. But... since I do not have diabetis and although I have slight overweight, I do not qualify as obese and I have no other serious illnesses, I will only be second in line. Assuming that the vaccins first available are actually effective for people my age. They have not been massively tested on old people yet.

 ... So you can be the guinnee pig ...

I expect it will not be my turn before March. In a best case scenario...