Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 10061 из 12491 ===================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         19 Dec 20 23:08:40
Кому : Vincent Coen                                        19 Dec 20 23:08:40
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5fde7d8a
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:250/1@fidonet+5fde12ed
Hello Vincent,

On Saturday December 19 2020 14:48, you wrote to me:

>> Boris Johnson is caught between a rock and hard place. He promised
>> full souvreignty AND free access to the EU internal market.

>> That combination is impossible. There is no way he can deliver on
>> his promises.

>> We will wait and see, but my guess is no deal.

VC> Yep,  mine too but there can always be a last minute solution it is a
VC> case of who blinks first.

We may be past that stage. Both parties are interested in a deal, a no deal scenario would hurt the economies of both, but it would not hurt the EU as much as it would hurt the UK. Several weeks ago the EU has already stated, it wants a deal but not at all cost. The EU can not afford let the UK have better conditions for access to the common market than the conditions for its own members. That would be the end of the concept of the EU common market. So...if the UK and the EU have reached some kind of last minute agreement on the level playing field and the governance, it means that the UK has already blinked and given away most of "take back control". If that analysis is correct, the only thing remaining is the fishing issue.

It is easier for BJ to make his voters swallow the story that the EU is to blame for blowing up the deal over the fishing rights than to have to admit he gave away almost all of souvreignty on the level playing field and arbitration. His voters will never forgive him the later. That will be then of BJ as PM.

BJ has to choose between the interest of his country and his own interest. We know what he choose in the past...