Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 10068 из 12491 ===================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         21 Dec 20 13:52:18
Кому : Vincent Coen                                        21 Dec 20 13:52:18
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5fe09a84
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:250/1@fidonet+5fdf5f6c
Hello Vincent,

On Sunday December 20 2020 14:11, you wrote to me:

VC> Once I stopped flying (as a pilot) I noticed that I also had various
VC> passport stamps that did not have matching in & out labels etc.

The incident I described happened in the late sixties or early seventies. Since the UK joined the EU no more stamps were given. But this wasn't about the idea of giving stamps to keep track of people coming and going. In itself that system makes sense.

My point was that the system was knowingly and willingly flawed by failing to recognise that The Republic of Ireland is no longer a part of the UK, but a souvereign country instead. It is that attitude that is still present today and that is a major cause of the problems in the relationship between the UK and the EU.

VC> Some of the UK (and other country) airlines have a special service for
VC> geting these renewed same day for no cost.

I wasn't aware of that.

I no longer have a passport. My EU ID card will let me travel anywhere in the EU and I have no plans to go any further in the foreseeable future. When I stopped working, I no longer have a need to fly and after 9-11 when the doors to the cockpit are closed in commercial flight, it is no fun any more,

If/when I will ever need a passport, I can get one in a couple of days, so no problem.

VC> I expect my current one to possibly be my last unless there is a UK
VC> gov. requirement to change them to the Blue style and while may be
VC> nice is hardly important.

You may need a new passport to travel to the EU after the end of this year...

VC> Why last ?,  as I age the cost of getting travel and health insurance
VC> may well get silly if obtainable as many insurers do not like people
VC> travelling in their 80's

We do not have that problem here. I have not heard of such age restrictions here. My health insurance is valid for all of Europe en many other countries without age restrictions.

VC> so my have to consider keeping at least one license (pilot) running. -
VC> I have 5 or 6 commercial (incl Mil) and 2 PPL one's although getting a
VC> medical might start to get tricky at some point for some of the
VC> countries that issued them.

Here you need a minimum of 10 hours a year airtime in the left seat to keep the licence valid. I know that from the time my father had a pilot licence. That was for the basic one engine < 2000 kg licence. I imagine that for type related licences, the minimum applies for each type, but I am not sure.

Anyway, if piloting is no longer your job, I imagine it will be difficult to keep all those licenses.