Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 03 May 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12492
= Сообщение: 12228 из 12492 ===================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         28 May 23 14:53:15
Кому : Vincent Coen                                        28 May 23 14:53:15
Тема : Metric vs archaic (was: A computer I can recommend)
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+647351f9
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:250/1@fidonet+646e4174
Hello Vincent,

On Wednesday May 24 2023 17:40, you wrote to me:

VC>>> Normal distances as statute - i.e., 5280 against nautical /
VC>>> marine 6076. Above Statute mile is not for Scotland which is
VC>>> around 600 feet longer or was. Saying that, I think they use the
VC>>> UK standard but I would not bet the farm on it :)

The present definition of the nautical mile is 1852 meter exactly.

The present definition of the statute mile is  1609.344meter exactly.

VC> The mile originates from a Roman mille passus or thousand paces, which
VC>  measured 5,000 Roman feet. A Roman pace equals 5 Roman feet measured
VC> from the point at which the heel of one foot was raised to the point
VC> at which it was set down again after an intervening step by the other
VC> foot. So over 1800 years before hand.

VC> Like I said, goes back a lot further !

There are lots of archaic measures, many or perhaps most only used localley that have been abondonned for the world wide system of metrics.

VC> The French just like reinventing stuff if they did not think of it.
VC> i.e., GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) is the mean solar time at the Royal
VC> Observatory
VC> in Greenwich, London, counted from midnight.
VC> I will let you look that up as to why !

Because Brittania ruled the waves?

VC> They created UTC, same thing but they define it differently I think.

UTC was not cerated by the French but was a joined effort from scientists all over the world united in the International Bureau of Wights and Measures.

UTC is NOT the same thing as GMT. GMT is based on mean solar time UTC is based on the atomic clocks.

VC> Too many years ago when I had to study this stuff.

It has been a long time for me as well. Wikipedia is my friend.