Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 03 May 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12492
= Сообщение: 8444 из 12492 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Ward Dossche                     2:292/854          01 Apr 19 09:04:44
Кому : David Rance                                         01 Apr 19 09:04:44
Тема : Re: R25
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+0a3d1e17
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5ca14a9e
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
David,

Mv> I don't think so. I'd say it is worse for you. The reality is that
Mv> Britannia no longer rules the waves. Today the UK is no more than a
Mv> middle sized country.

Which is a correct statement. Gone is the time that Britain could impose itself and through its fleet and maritime power could regulate the world as it saw fit.

Now the reality is that as an individual person prior to the UKs membership of the EU, I needed documentation to enter. During the membership I need documentation and after the probable end of the membership I will still need documentation. When entering the UK either in Dover, Folkestone or London City Airport I never felt in Europe but somewhere else.

Mv> Face reality. There is just one way to get the situation of the Irish
Mv> border right and that is to have the EU/UK border somewhere else. The
Mv> people of Northern island will have to make the choice between the return
Mv> of the troubles or the rational choice of laying the border in the Irish
Mv> sea, effectively seperating them from the UK and joining the republic.

While your analyses is correct Michiel, I don't think there is a ready-made solution. There is some measure of peace in Northern Ireland, but not really. There just haven't been any bombings or shootings but there still is a giant wall separating whole populations some of whom will resort to violence at the blink of an eye ...

Mv> But how come they were so gullable? Did they not know that when something
Mv> sounds too good to be true, it just isn't?

I have some good friends in the UK who are telling me that their country was overrun by a horde of over a million male Muslims, that they were going to breed like rabbits resulting in more Muslims. That millions were entering the UK illegally and weighing on the social care system and sucking up the reserves in healthcare.

While all that is nonsense (a million male Muslims will get noted, and the UK has no healthcare reserves as it is), if you keep repeating the lie enough, it will stick. So on the referendum day 3 years ago enough eligible voters that wanted to stay were convinced it was going to be a non-event and didn't bother to go to the polling station while those who were in the Leave-camp went to the very last-one ... the same effect that got Trump elected ... same year too. It was an eye-opener for several countries in Europe to start caring and showing-up at elections because the same thing could've happened in several countries ... and the dominoes stopped falling in the Netherlands at that time.

The real idiot was Cameron.

Mv> The Republic of Ireland remaining in the EU, AND the
Mv> UK leaving the EU, AND Northern Ireland remaining part of the UK, AND not
Mv> having a border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, is
Mv> a set of conditions that can never be satified.

Correct. If nothing happens there, there will be a hard and physical border again to keep dividing communities, families, local economies again. Northern Ireland definitely will be a loser.

My hopes are on Donald Tusk on April 10th and upon enough pressure from parliament to force a new referendum which will see a landslide 'stay' outcome after 3 years of information and desinformation.

Anyway, May said it nicely in parliament but many failed to notice ... if Britain extends the period for leaving beyond May 26th, they will even "have to" organize European elections.

Were that to happen, Britain will not be regarded as a leading nation anymore but rather as a follower, something along the lines of Cyprus. Beggars can't be choosers.

 \%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.99 SR41
* Origin: Ceci n'est pas un courriel (2:292/854)