Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 11037 из 12491 ===================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Ward Dossche                     2:292/854          15 Nov 21 21:09:10
Кому : Dmitry Protasoff                                    15 Nov 21 21:09:10
Тема : Re: The richest people on this planet
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+190f0f3f
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:5001/100.1+6192822c
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:5001/100.1+6192e1f8
Dmitry,

DP>DP>> Do you care about people killed by roman legions 2000 years ago?

DP>WD> Yes, we even erect statues for them.

DP> Name a few guys?

You can google for the name "Ambiorix" for example.

DP>WD> That part of
DP>WD> Africa was the 'private property' of King Leopold II.

DP> Oh, he was not belgian, was not born in Brussels and not hired belgians
DP> for his crimes? :)
DP> And yet still in Belgium his statues are respected with great care.

Please google for the history of "Congo Free State" and read, become educated.

Until Leopold caved-in to political pressure and the Congo was ceded to Belgium, it was not a Belgian thing. His Army of mercenaries consisted mainly of French individuals, a lot of Portugese, some Americans (history hides that), North Africans, Arabs ...

As for his statues, you are running behind. Several have already been removed or with displays to put everything in the right context. Streetnames bearing his name have been altered or are in the process of being altered.

DP> And nobody even punched him in his face for his crimes.

Well ... 2 things here ...

First in a monarchy it is not done to "lift the crown", i.e. say something inappropriate about the monarch or demonstrate that the crown is lying or unfit. Your country one time was a monarchy and it was the same there.

Second, in 1908 Leopold was forced to cede 'Congo Free State' to Belgium under political pressure and international outcry.

DP> So no one called Congo fatherland in Belgium? :)

Not that I know of, I even have trouble calling Belgium that way.

DP>WD> BTW, way more people perished in the Gulags than in Congo.

DP> Perfect whataboutism!

I didn't start that ...

DP> It was possible to stop this mess by negotating with A-H but no one
DP> bothered, Russia wanted to start this war and it did so.
DP> And lost more soldiers in that war than any other country.

Hmmm ... pretty bad army then.

BTW, are you aware Belgian military units fought alongside Russian units in the east during WW1 ?

DP> Exactly! Giants were dying in big numbers, but Belgium was just a minor
DP> player.

Pls define 'minor'?

The German plan was to seize Paris from the north by marching through Belgium, which was refused. France was protecting its border with Belgium but its forces were too stretched-out. There was a northern corridor for the Germans which was  closed-off by Belgian forces inundating the lower flood-plain. A quick march into France was no longer possible and the war at the western front bogged-down in trench war.

At the time of the flooding the French, the British and the Belgians were losing the war, after the inundation the fortunes of war eventually changed.

So, what is 'minor' ?

DP> Do you think that Sonaca planes are much more well designed and do not
DP> crash? :)

What was that about ..."Perfect whataboutism" ?

 \%/@rd

--- DB4 - Oct 12 2021
* Origin: Hou het veilig, hou vol. Het komt allemaal weer goed (2:292/854)