Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 03 May 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12492
= Сообщение: 11944 из 12492 ===================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : John Dovey                       2:460/256          12 Nov 22 13:15:54
Кому : Ward Dossche                                        12 Nov 22 13:15:54
Тема : Re: Be conscious about this ...
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:460/256+00000230
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+100e3f2f
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:221/1.58@fidonet+025d9d69
WD> John,
WD>
JD>> At the going down of the sun
JD>> And in the morning
JD>> We will remember them!
WD>
WD> Nov.11th is a very strong date for me ... I grew up with tales from a grandfather who spent close to 4 years in the dirt and the mud that in reality Flanders was back then.
WD>
WD> I had 2 grandfathers at the front, the other one was mortaly injured by a gas attack in 1917 but took 28 years to die from his wounds in 1945.
WD>
WD> Then WW2 arrived and everyone remembering the horrors, the brutality and the hunger. My dad went to war, was among the last defenders at Dunkirk (don't believe the movie. that was Hollywood), was taken POW, early released as an essential worker, joined the resistance and killed real-life Nazis .... the trauma of killing a person with a knife haunted him till the last day of his life. No church, no religion ever was able to absolve him from that. He said "This guy could have been my friend"...
WD>
WD> War is omnipresent in this family and "I will remember them ..."
WD>
WD> That's why I cannot wrap my mind around Ukraine.
WD>
WD> Thank you for writing,
WD>
WD>  \%/@rd

"They shall not grow old
As we who are left grow old"

As the years pass this becomes ever more poignant. I'm ever grateful that I've made it through. More times than I care to think about, it was by the skin of my teeth.

"At the going down of the sun"

Sometimes though, in the late hours, or rather the early hours of the morning, the time the big black dog loves the most, in those hours I wonder.

"and in the morning"

Dawn is always special. That subliminal seeping of the message that your brain reads before it passes the news to you, that it's not so dark, there is a slow gathering of the light.

This is a "klaarstaan" of a different type, it's the waiting for the dawn with a lifting of your heart as you hear your family stirring.

Instead of making sure your weapons are loaded or your vehicle is Battle-Ready, you can turn from the sight of the rising sun with a new hope, and a new reason. Grind the beans and turn on the coffee machine, wipe away the suspiciously wet trails of water from your face, wait for the smell of frying bacon to work it's magic and smile, oh such a big smile, when your family emerge one by one to eat with you.

"We will remember them"

Every day. Every single day. But we won't let them down. No matter what, for them and for those to come, we'll get up every day and do what we have to do, because that's how we honour their memory.

JD - 11/11/2022
I wrote this yesterday. Thought you might appreciate it.

--- tg BBS v0.7.1
* Origin: Fido by Telegram BBS from Stas Mishchenkov (2:460/256)