Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8502 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Alexey Vissarionov               2:5020/545         04 May 19 11:55:00
Кому : Ward Dossche                                        04 May 19 11:55:00
Тема : This appeared in our press today ...
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:5020/545+5ccd5366
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+16331215
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+0d08201d
Good ${greeting_time}, Ward!

02 May 2019 20:46:40, you wrote to Anyone In Russia:

WD> This appeared in the press today here. Any truth?

None.

WD> Does it mean Fido-R50 will be isolated as well ?

Unlikely.

WD> It could be a Fido-revival using PSTN...

We've almost buried it, and that's great.

First (and main) lye. The law (http://sozd.duma.gov.ru/bill/608767-7) was created to make the Russian part of internet immune to interventions from outside.

WD> All Russian internet traffic will from then on have to go through
WD> servers in their own country.

Obviously, yes: when both sender and recipient are here, there's no any good reason for the connection to cross the border.

WD> According to the government, which published the law on Wednesday,
WD> the measure must protect the country against, for example, cyber
WD> attacks by other countries or prevent a worldwide failure of the
WD> internet. The measure will take effect on 1 November.

The ISPs were doing that for years. Now they've got some official support (including financial, as that means more cables, IXes and DCs).

WD> Critics also see the law as a way for the government to increase its
WD> control over the internet. Through the isolated network - also known
WD> as the "digital Iron Curtain" - it is easier for the government to
WD> censor content and monitor internet traffic and it becomes more
WD> difficult to circumvent restrictions.

We have SORM-2 for almost 15 years, and that's the only one thing which generally may cause some real bother.

WD> The telecom watchdog Roskomnadzor also gets more powers to intervene.

These idiots once had made one fatal mistake: they started to use generally effective censorship methods (like those widely used in CN, EC and US) for fighting the so-called "piracy". Obviously enough, that caused predictable reaction: people (including really good networking experts) searched for circumvention methods and quickly found some.

WD> At the beginning of March, thousands of people had argued against
WD> the law in Russia.

Yes, we have plenty of idiots here.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-ccxxix-lxxix-xlii

... GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: http://openwall.com/Owl (2:5020/545)