Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8548 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Carol Shenkenberger              1:275/100          18 May 19 10:04:59
Кому : Ward Dossche                                        18 May 19 10:04:59
Тема : Re: Idiots
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=7085.enet_sys@1:275/100+21458ce8
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+12114100
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5ce18003
  Re: Re: Idiots
  By: Ward Dossche to Carol Shenkenberger on Sun May 12 2019 04:15 pm

> Carol,
>
> CS> Actually, I got a chuckle.  It's the sort of joke a Japanese person migh
> CS> tell.
>
> Let me tell you this, I used to have a Japanese friend from Osaka and he jus
> loved that joke about "having elections". He figured it was hilarious.
>
> When he was still alive and we talked about my camera, he said "made in Japa
> When we talked about my stereo, he said "Made in Japan". When we talked abou
> my TV he said "Made in Japan". So finally I told him "So, Yoshitaka, were yo
> made in Japan too?" where-upon he responded "No, in Hawaii, during my parent
> honeymoon". He thought that was a hilarious joke as well.
>
> After he died and his daughter got married to a young man in Connecticut, sh
> invited me for the wedding and introduced me as "One of the best friends of
> late father who always said Ward knew some hilarious jokes about Japanese
> people"... and I got the mike to tell some in honor of my dead friend.
>
> CS> They have fun with deliberate 'engrish'.  In fact, I think I've seen tha
> CS> one on Tshirts there. There was one with a Japanese pirate trying to say
> CS> 'arrg' spelled 'alllg' in a comic book bubble.
>
> There's even a website about it,..
>
>     www.engrish.com
>
> Hilarious.
>
> Maybe someone working in an international environment with colleagues from a
> over the world including (but not limited to) folks from China, Taiwan, Japa
> and Nepal may not find it funny.
>
> But the domain was created 19 years ago with thousands of photos ... and
> remarks. And I'm not aware about any racial complaints ...
>
>  \%/@rd

Yes, there is a time for humor but in the business world, it would not be used.
Living in Japan, you find there is a distinct dichotomy in behavior when in the
workplace and when at play.

You can best get a sense of it when watchng some of their truely outrageous
reality/game shows.

On 'Engrish' it's both a sane way to treat the inevitable 'spelling variations'
when they try politely to make an english label and a natural sense of humor.

Tonoo Market (huge open air place in Sasebo, google it and you'll see an inside
and parts ofoutside) was fun for that.  With about 20% USA folks shopping there
they'd try to label things for us.  'Engrish kuke,that set me
giggling.  Another was 'laidee finger' (okra).

  xxcarol
--- SBBSecho 2.11-Win32
* Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS (1:275/100)