Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Apr 24 01:17:44, всего сообщений: 7124
= Сообщение: 2314 из 7124 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Nicholas Boel                    1:154/10           31 Jan 17 07:17:58
Кому : Janis Kracht                                        31 Jan 17 07:17:58
Тема : FSP-1040.001 Draft #3
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:154/10+5890933f
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:261/38.0+f0069855
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Hello Janis,

On Tue Jan 31 2017 00:18:00, Janis Kracht wrote to Wilfred Van Velzen:

>> I'm talking about your suggestion to change the dayOfMonth from 1..31
>> to 0..30 to be in line with the other fields. Such a change would
>> break existing software.

JK> Yes, very silly. It would indeed break packages I think.

Yes. Very silly.

JK> As you know, generally in programmming "counts" or what-have-you, are
JK> "zero relative"... meaning they start with 0 as the first number.
JK> It's been that way since the 80's as Mark noted.

JK> I suggest perhaps Nick think about "what number comes before 1" :)

Why thank you for the late join to the conversation.

There has been quite a bit of sarcasm in this thread you may not have picked up on. I have known for quite some time that programming counts from zero. The point was, the changes that were being requested by two specific people was limiting the proposal to cover FTS-0001 only, when it actually covers it and more already. The fact that they're requesting me to "dumb down" the original proposal so that it /only/ covers Fidonet, it hilarious to say the least.

I suggest perhaps you think about the inconsistencies I'm pointing out in regard to what Stephen Hurd's proposal seems to completely make up for, while a couple of others are seemingly trying to make me change these specific things to suit their agendas, when it is completely unnecessary, since it seems to cover everything in FTS-0001 and then some.

Fidonet has indeed moved onto the internet already due to some specific software created (including yours). As long as Fidonet standards are still followed for backwards compatibility, I don't see a problem with covering more than that for future endeavo(u)rs also. BBS packages such as BBBS, MBSE, Synchronet, and Mystic all have advanced FTN to be able to be used with other internet protocols. Most of which is all undocumented since the developers relations with the FTSC is fairly non-existant these days.

While these developers seem to be gladly assisting sysops when things like stripping SEEN-BYs across zones comes to light (no idea about BBBS as it may have already had the feature, but MBSE, Synchronet, and Mystic were all adapted to do so), the FTSC doesn't seem to help them in any way in return.

Regards,
Nick

... "Не знаю. Я здесь только работаю."
--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20161221
* Origin: thePharcyde_ distribution system (Wisconsin) (1:154/10)