Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Apr 24 01:17:44, всего сообщений: 7124
= Сообщение: 4524 из 7124 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         26 Mar 19 13:30:46
Кому : Dan Clough                                          26 Mar 19 13:30:46
Тема : IPv6
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:280/5555+5c9a1b76
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=822.fido_ftscpubl@1:123/115+20fed115
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:201/120.0@FidoNet+5c9ad57c
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:261/38.0+058e3c0f
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:275/362.0+5c9aba58
Hello Dan,

On Monday March 25 2019 21:48, you wrote to me:

MvV>> So much for "moving forward"...

DC> Well, to be fair, I have never said a single word about "moving
DC> forward" with IPv6.

True, you never specifically mentioned IPv6, but you were /very/ vocal about "moving forward" in general. From FTA-1000.002, §1:

  2. Encouraging new technologies in Fidonet software development.

Promoting IPv6 is in line with that.

DC> I don't think the subject is extrememly relevant to the previous
DC> discussions in here about moving Fido forward.

Fidonet is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. If the plug on Fidonet were pulled tonight, the sun would still rise next morning. Relevancy is irrelevant. This is a hobby. A hobby is about doing things that one enjoys, not about things relevant.

DC> It's not IPv4 which is hindering FidoNet in any way.

The exhaustion of the IPv4 address pool is already affecting those running servers in some parts of the world. Some ISPs in Europe have started issuing a DS-Lite connection to new customers. That means they have no public IPv4 address. Fidonet involves running servers and so it will be a matter of time before it affects Fidonet.

I have been promoting IPv6 in Fidonet for about a decade now. Not because I felt a compelling need, but because I found it interesting and I enjoyed exploring the technology. With moderate success. Considering that there is a lot of inertia in Fidonet, 77 active nodes supporting IPv6 is not overwhelming, but it is not bad either.

You want Fidonet to move forward. You run into a lot of opposition. Promoting Ipv6 is my hobby horse. That is also moving forward. We have that in common. Where IPv6 differs from what you have addressed so far is that moving your system towards IPv6 can be done without any cooperation or even against the opposition of the powers that be. You do not need the fiat of your NC, RC or ZC. Or that of the FTSC, the NAB, the Fidonews editor or whoever has a say in whatever in Fidonet. All that is needed to make this step forward is that you make some changes to your own system. The only thing in Fidonet, that you and only you are Lord and Master of. Look at it from a pragmatic POV. If you want to move forward, this is what you can do tomorow.

MvV>> The first step would be to join us in the IPv6 echo. That is
MvV>> where the expertise is. It is available at your uplink.

DC> I'll inquire about it.  Thanks.

See you there...

Cheers, Michiel

---
* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)