Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Apr 24 01:17:44, всего сообщений: 7124
= Сообщение: 4283 из 7124 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Ward Dossche                     2:292/854          17 Feb 19 11:26:13
Кому : Carol Shenkenberger                                 17 Feb 19 11:26:13
Тема : Re: Campaigning...
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:292/854+0c2e3a00
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=7093.ftsc_pub@1:275/100+20ce2240
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=7137.ftsc_pub@1:275/100+20d4887f
CS>WD> I don't think you understand how, in the grand scheme of
CS>WD> Fidonet-things, irrelevant Planet Connect was.

CS> It was fairly significant in parts of the USA that I was in for a time.
CS> I'm ot sure what footprint they had outside the USA.

I hope you have read "in the grand scheme of things".

As far as I know it was discussed a bit, some individuals may have attempted it for a short while, but that was it then. As it involves satellites I take it Michiel is better informed.

There never was a need for it as we had better ways with guaranteed free distribution under the premise "what you get from us for free, you also pass on for free".

There were some individuals trying to make a buck out of it ... There was a Swedish docter living in Ghent/Belgium Martin Whelou ,,, he tried to give me serious sums of money in order to be listed on top of the echomail-foodchain in the nodelist. There was our friend Janssens from the Netherlands and his buddy, we compared them to Laurel and Hardy. I was approached from Russia by people offering money, never saw them in the nodelist afterwards. There was a guy who had it so refined that he ran a hardware store and people wishing to participate could get a point-address and needed to buy the hardware at his store. Then he had a system scanning in- and outbound mail protecting his business so his points never really got to know the outside world. He easily delayed mail for days in order to check. Charging 7000BFr a year for access (close to 200US$) with 300 points and all that hardware. He wanted to pull mail from me and there was the "free" deal so I investigated him, ordered something in his store and when picking it up anonymously there was a queue of people so we chatted ... that was the day 'that' system folded. He physically threatened me.

The Netherlands had cost-share wars .. don't tell me they went at all the effort without an incentive.

But the real ringer was ... Felix Kasza, Ron Dwight (indirectly) and Jens Mueller.

Felix became ZC2 and set-up a system where he charged for mail, you knew up-front what you were paying for but he wasn't losing any money over it to use a euphemism. It didn't work in the end, he didn't become the big star-hub for Europe.

Ron Dwight was hoisted in the chair for a second term and became heavily sponsored by Janssens from the Netherlands, even paying travels. C'mon ...

Because of an intra-ZCC quarrel Ron Dwight resigned and there were elections. Ron's crown-prince was Jens Mueller from Germany who thought he had seen the big light, started a 24-line TBBS-system available 24/7 and called it "Eurostar" .... I candidated in that election. Ron never knew what hit him and Jens only caught 48 hour before close of ballots he wasn't going to win. It took weeks before Ron passed the baton to me and even then with proprietary software tried to keep it under control. I think that was the beginning of the end for the money-freaks in Z2.

But can you imagine? Corruption from the top-down ... even Fidonet.

I can only say I probably wasted a few nice automobiles, a few guns and several vacations to a Tahiti beach-resort sipping rum and Coca-Cola on-the-rocks under an umbrella ... might have been Cuba too ... behind a keyboard in the middle of the night.

 \%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.99 SR41
* Origin: Ceci n'est pas un courriel (2:292/854)