Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Apr 24 01:17:44, всего сообщений: 7124
= Сообщение: 6414 из 7124 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Alexey Vissarionov               2:5020/545         20 Mar 22 13:30:00
Кому : BjФrn Felten                                        20 Mar 22 13:30:00
Тема : 2022 FTSC Standing Member Election - Call for Votes
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:5020/545+623707e3
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:203/2+6233ee80
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Good ${greeting_time}, BjФrn!

18 Mar 2022 03:29:24, you wrote to Andrew Leary:

AL>> Although not required, voters are encouraged to consult their
AL>> constituency before casting their votes. Debate with the candidates
AL>> is also encouraged. No need to hurry.
BF> Now, three weeks after the voting started, I cannot but wondering
BF> how some RCs can vote only a few days after the voting started.
BF> The reason only RCs can vote, is of course because if every nodelisted
BF> sysop was allowed to vote, it would be impossible to handle still
BF> today (and imagine when we had more than 30k sysops).

Now the number of nodelisted sysops is just a little more than a thousand. Collecting the votes from 20 or more (typical number of nodes in a network) normally implies running some robot to receive and count votes, sending the acknowledgements, publishing the statistics on how many votes were processed (without intermediate results, of course) and perform other necessary tasks. Obviously enough, processing 20 or 1000 (or ever 30k) votes doesn't make much difference for a robot - so getting the votes from all sysops is not really a problem.

Why this is not used, is another question. Very interesting one, I'd say.

BF> So obviously the RCs are expected to count all the votes from all the
BF> sysops in their region, and then vote accordingly.

Or consult with sysops actively involved in software development. Or whatever.

BF> But during at least the last two decades there's been a lot of RCs
BF> that vote on their own, without bothering to consult their
BF> "constituency". You know what, that smells like dictatorship to me...

Yes, these votes may be voluntaristic. Or may be not, if the sysops of those regions really trust their RCs and delegate them the right to vote.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-ccxxix-lxxix-xlii

... :wq!
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: ::1 (2:5020/545)