Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Apr 24 01:17:44, всего сообщений: 7124
= Сообщение: 354 из 7124 ======================================= FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Paul Quinn                       3:640/384          21 Nov 13 00:08:00
Кому : Henri Derksen                                       21 Nov 13 00:08:00
Тема : Dupes.
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=3:640/384+17e114f7
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+a10eb1b4
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Hi! Henri,

On Mon, 18 Nov 13, you wrote to me:

AV>> Good ${greeting_time}, Wilfred!
HD>> Why is that variable not filled in?
PQ>> So that it matches the time of day for the receiver, without
PQ>> necessitating the sender to guess when the receiver will receive
PQ>> it.

HD> I see. The Idea is ok, the result not.
PQ>> Neat, isn't it?

HD> No, because it only works if the receiver has a mail-reader with the
HD> same feature in it.

You're addressing the notion too literally.  You don't need to have the particular facility in your own software.  (See my note to Dale Shipp.)  Relax, and use your imagination.  Just do an eyeball replacement whenever you see the 'code', and replace it with a (any) time-of-the-day word/term: morning; day; afternoon; evening; night; or, [did I miss something?].  Whatever fits for your viewing time, for example.  The idea is neat.  It works for everyone!  :)

HD>> Someone can also fake your Node and name, and poll a system
HD>> looks like if it were you who was calling.
[ ...chomp... ]
HD> a 3rd person can intercept a routed netmail, or fake a crashpoll to
HD> exchange passwords. That's named "a man in the
HD> middle". Have you ever heard of it?

Why are you introducing a 3rd person?  This brain teaser is based on an agreement between two sysops who want to formalise a link by exchanging agreed passwords.  The reason for doing so is based on the fact that they _already_ have a mutually-compatible method of connecting, directly.  That is, their systems call each other's directly to exchange mail.  No 3rd system in the middle.

One of the fellows says "I will start using the password [blah blah] on my next poll to your system on Friday at 15h20", in a netmail directly delivered to the other fellow's system.  (That's all they're doing: making a pact [for want of a better word] to have their system present the password during the sessions from that time on.)  The receiving sysop directly delivers an affirmative netmail, confirming the password & timing of the first poll.  No one else is involved.  Easy.

PQ>> --- Paul's Win98SE VirtualBox
HD> Ah, you live in a virtual world, that why you donot bother... ducking
HD> ;-).

I call them 'a ship in a bottle'.  Since I have two licensed copies, I run two Win98SE VirtualBox (vBox) PCs; the second handles our POP3/SMTP accounts and also provides an intranet, and the DynDNS updater client.  There are also three other vBox PCs running various versions of Puppy Linux running near-24/7.  There's also a Windows XP vBox, a Xubuntu vBox, and a Debian vBox; all running at different times of the day but not every day.  Each has a specific reason for its existence.  They are a world unto themselves, and are great fun.

Cheers,
Paul.

... *Real* programmers use COPY CON MYAPP.ZIP
--- Paul's Win98SE VirtualBox
* Origin: Quinn's Post - Maryborough, Queensland, OZ (3:640/384)