FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 7402
= Сообщение: 6000 из 7402 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Jeff Smith                       1:282/1031         08 May 19 08:07:32
Кому : Michiel Van Der Vlist                               08 May 19 08:07:32
Тема : IPv6's
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=1:282/1031.0+84c27ec7
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5cd2982c
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5cd3e52e
Hello Michiel.

> On Tuesday May 07 2019 12:25, you wrote to All:

> But I have never seen this actually used by an ISP to issue IPv6.

>> I asked them what the v6 Prefix and the v6 Gateway address(s) were.
>> They had little if any knowledge what my v6 IP's were let alone what
>> the prefix or gateway would be.

> Odd. An ISP should know what address (blocks) they issue...

Yes. The support staff seemed to know what a v6 IP was but didn't appear to know
much about them. I would get the "Sorry, I don't have that information available". And they would then transfer me to someone who would end up giving me the same response.

>> Linux needs to know those settings before one can save the network
>> settings for that that Linux PC.

>I am not familiair with Linux, but I would be surprised if it differs, in that
> contrary to Windows, it requires user intervention to ceate a working IPv6
> setup.

Here in Linux for a manual/static v4 IP setup one has to provide the v4 IP, the subnet mask, and the gateway address. Similarly for v6 manual/static IP setup on has to specify the v6 IP, the prefix, and the v6 gateway address. All three have to be specified to be able to save the v4 or v6 IP network settings.

> Here I do not have to do anything to assign IPv6 addresses to my PC's. The
> router is assigned a /56 from the ISP. The router assigns a /64 to the local
>LAN en from that /64 IPv6 addresses are assigned to devices on the LAN. Either
> bij SLAAC or DHCP6.

Here, the router is setup to accept and support a static IP block. And will accept traffic for any of the static IP's in that block. Each PC is assigned a static IP and accepts traffic for that particular static IP. The router doesn't assign an IP to the PC unless DHCP is in use. Here DHCP is in use but only for assigning local non-routeable IP's.   .
> It is only when running servers that I have to intervene. I have to punch a
> hole in the firewall for the ports concerned and I have to update the DNS..

Yes similarly here I have to make the necessary ports available.

>> I have written a bash script that goes out and gets my v6 IP and IF it
>> has changed it then updates the settings at my DNS provider for that
>> domain. Which shouldn't be needed IF the v6 IP was actually static
>> like they say that it is.

> So obviously you do not have static IPv6 addresses. :(

Yes... Sadly that would be my conclusion also. They state that "A static v6 IP isn't necessary since each v6 IP is derived from a staticv4 IP". The question I then asked was why does the IP change? Again... I got the "Sorry, I don't have that information".

> Can you change ISPs in you area?

Sadly, that isn't an option as Centurylink (Qwest) is the only fiber based ISP in the area and the only other options are cable or satellite. Neither of which (Last time I checked) provided static IP's.

Jeff

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
* Origin: Fidoneet: The Ouija Board - Anoka, MN -bbs.ouijabrd.net (1:282/1031)