FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 7402
= Сообщение: 6992 из 7402 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Anna Christina Nass              2:240/5824.1       16 Jan 22 12:53:00
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               16 Jan 22 12:53:00
Тема : Re: List of IPv6 nodes
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/5824.1@fidonet+f87ecad5
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+61e356d6
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+61e6c495
Am 16.01.22 schrieb Michiel van der Vlist@2:280/5555 in IPV6:

Hallo Michiel,

MvdV> Thanks. But you end I being right does not change the reality that the
MvdV> transition is not completed and that we are past the point where it can
MvdV> be done without becoming ugly. Some of us will have to make do without a
MvdV> globally routable IPv4 address before IPv6 is the dominant protocol.

At least the use of DS-Lite ISP connections makes it a little more
apparent to the customers that IPv4 has some disadvantages over IPv6
nowadays.
But I guess the vast majority of 'consumers' who only use simple web
browsing, email and media streaming services won't notice it anyway.
So in theory, the transition for those consumers can continue as long
as the services that most people use are reachable via IPv6.

AN>> :) I'm working for the local public library, a part of the
AN>> municipality.

MvdV> As a volunteer or as a payed employee? I think it makes a difference. As
MvdV> a volunteer you may have more influence and more freedom to make a
MvdV> difference.

No, that's my full time job (and I get payed - lucky me *g*).
And although I'm in the IT department of the library, there are other
departments 'above' us who run the city-wide IT.

AN>> And as I'm living in Germany, I'm happy that I do have a working
AN>> computer and not only a typewriter and a fax machine. Our library
AN>> building still has some IBM Type-1 cabling (from Token Ring-days) that
AN>> we're using for Ethernet via some adapters... I don't think that IPv6
AN>> days will come soon here...

MvdV> While you equipment may be old, I do not think it is hopeless. Even
MvdV> WIndows XP supports IPv6 and that IBM-1 cabling with ethernet adapter
MvdV> should be IP version agnostic just like any other type of network cable.

MvdV> So what is stopping you - other than a boss paying you salary - to do
MvdV> some updating?

Well, you're right (and yes, I know that even via 'real' Token Ring,
you can use IPv6 *g*).
My point was more in the direction of the mentality of German
bureaucracy. Changes here take ages.
We are still stuck to Microsoft (Windows, Office, AD... all the nice
things that malware loves) and until this year we're still using Lotus
Notes (Exchange/Outlook will follow ... *shiver*).

And I'm trying to update things. We've moved out library management
system to Linux servers some years ago (and now it's running much more
stable and reliable than before) and are updating hardware as good as
we can.
But as said before, we're not on the top of the hierarchy in the
municipality, we are dependant on others who run the network. So we
can't move to IPv6 on our own :)

MvdV> Sure. But there is a reason I took an account with them. Five years ago,
MvdV> I figured there was a reasonable chance that I would loose my globally
MvdV> routable IPv4 address. That is why I ran the DS-Lite emulation
MvdV> experiments. I wanted to be prepared in case my ISP converted my
MvdV> connection to DS-Lite. It has not happened yet. But when it happens, I
MvdV> will be prepaired.

That's always a good idea!
I could set up a VPN tunnel to one of my vServers, or use some kind of
service that you mentioned, to be reachable from outside again.
Let's see how all this will turn out.

Regards,
Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
* Origin: Imzadi Box Point (2:240/5824.1)