FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 7402
= Сообщение: 5461 из 7402 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         24 Apr 18 15:20:36
Кому : Tony Langdon                                        24 Apr 18 15:20:36
Тема : New one in the making
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5adf321e
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=601.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1f4397d7
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=609.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1f44eaa1
Hello Tony,

On Tuesday April 24 2018 07:49, you wrote to me:

MvV>> Ah, that is good. Here the best they can do is disable the
MvV>> router function in the CPE they give you. Then you can use your
MvV>> own router, but then you are IPv4 only. There is an EU law in
MvV>> the making that will compell ISPs to allow customers to buy
MvV>> their own modem/routers but at this time it is unclear how that
MvV>> will evolve. In Germany a law against "Zwangsrouter" has been in
MvV>> effect for some time now. About a year IIRC. It seems to work.

TL> Interesting.  Here, different ISPs do different things.

Hmm.. I see that I should have been more specific than "they" in the 2nd sentence of the quote above.

I was talking about my ISP. Here there is just one ISP on the cable. That is the "they" I meant above. But there also is xDSL available on the old copper from the POTS era. On the old POTS copper one has a choice of about a dozen ISPs. Albeit at lower speed...

TL> The supplied router is often tweaked specifically for an ISP,
TL> sometimes with customised (often "brain dead") firmware, but I am yet
TL> to encounter a case where I couldn't substitute a third party router.
TL> When I was on cable (pre-2010), the modem was only a bridge, so I
TL> could add my own router to it (which in those days was a customised
TL> Linux box :) ).

My first cable modem was a Motorola Surfboard. Indeeed just a bridge after which I had my own router. The modem was on loan from the ISP, the router was my own. Now "they" only have modems with a build in router. They do not sell them, you get them on loan.

TL> My own ISP does sell routers, but you're not compelled to use their
TL> offerings. If you buy from them, the router comes configured so it
TL> will "just work", and they guarantee all of the gear they sell is IPv6
TL> capable.  But there's nothing stopping you from using anything else if
TL> you prefer.

Most xDSL providers have the same or a similar policy. Some of them even offer full stack native IPv6.

The reason I stay with the cable is that they have an attractive "all in one" offer. TV + Telephone + internet. With much more bandwith than xDSL.

No fiber in this area...  And no IPv6 on any of the mobile providers...

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)