FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 7402
= Сообщение: 5783 из 7402 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         08 Dec 18 14:36:59
Кому : Ward Dossche                                        08 Dec 18 14:36:59
Тема : New in this
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5c0bcd3d
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:292/854+0e17154b
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5003.4+5c0bfe32
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:460/5858+5c0cbf26
Hello Ward,

On Saturday December 08 2018 13:15, you wrote to me:

Mv>> Maybe you still have a friend at Belgacom that can "arrange"
Mv>> something for you. Maybe there are some tricks to raise your
Mv>> access level. Google is your friend. An maybe we do not need it
Mv>> for now. Ping is nice, but not essantial.

WD> My Belgacom years are 16 years behind me, the people I knew have
WD> mostly been reorganized away.

That long? How time flies. Well, it was a long shot...

WD> Belgacom\Proximus\Skynet do not seem to have a public forum to ask
WD> questions and from what I encounter Googling it seems there are a lot
WD> of frustrated people who simply want more.

Hmm... sounds like an arrogant quasi monopolist...

WD> What they are attempting is discouraging the possibility that you have
WD> incoming IPv6, discourage home-servers. Phone-support seems to be of
WD> the "I hope I don't break my nail" kind.

Just "discourage" or make it totally impossible? Do they allow you to connect your own modem/router?

Since you no longer enjoy the benefits of an (ex)employee and they are so customer unfriendly, maybe it is time to say goodbye to Belgacom and take your business elsewhere?

Mv>> What puzzels me is that you obviously have outgoing IPv6 capability
Mv>> and your OS is configuerd to first try IPv6. A very simple quick test
Mv>> is here:

Mv>> www.kame.net

Mv>> If you see the turtle dance, you have outgoing IPv6.

WD> Let me put it this way, the turtle isn't dancing, looks more like
WD> swimming but I guess that's what you meant.

"Dancing" is what the makers of that website call it. But indeed, it looks more like swimming. If you connect via IPv4 the turtle does not move.

Mv>> There may be something in the interface between D'Bridge and Binkd
Mv>> that I am unaware of. Kees should be your man, AFAIK he is the
Mv>> only Fidonet sysop that got D'Bridge to do IPv6.

WD> I think D'bridge is not involved.

Well, /something/ is stopping binkd from making IPv6 calls.

WD> Way way back when Chris Irwin dropped away and there litterally was no
WD> D'Bridge support until Nick popped and started his Opus Magnum, I
WD> wrote my own work-around to become IP-capable, and to this day these
WD> routines still work ... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

/Something/ is broke. Binkd does not make outgoing IPv6 calls It probably is not D'Bridge but until we have ruled it out, we don't know.

WD> It simply is a Binkley-style outbound which I create and Binkd deals
WD> with that.

If it really is that and only that...

But where does the configuration file for binkd come from? Is it created totally seperated from D'Bridge or does D'Bridge write to binkd's config file?

WD> And D'bridge itself does not have any generic binkp-capable code.

My understanding is that there still is some assembler code in it. Those tricks were needed in the early 90ties when computers were much slower than they are now. These tricks had side effects that two decades later sometimes get in the way by doing things to the system that they shouldn't...

I myself have been guilty of using undocumented system cals and writing directly to the hardware in the DOS days. Those shortcuts are a severe no-no in the third millenium.

WD> It als creates a Binkly-style outbound ... I think. Let me upgrade to
WD> the latest DB-distributed binkd-code and see what happens.

The latest binkd release that I use is binkd11a99-mingw32-ipv6-perldl-zlib-bzlib2.zip

To be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/vasilyevmax/fido

Mv>> By default the IPv6 firewall in the router will drop every
Mv>> unsollicited incomong IPv6 packet. To allow incoming one has to
Mv>> punch a hole in the firewall for the port(s) and destination(s).

WD> I will play with it some more the next few days.

OK.

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)