FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 7402
= Сообщение: 6374 из 7402 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         09 Oct 20 10:56:57
Кому : Deon George                                         09 Oct 20 10:56:57
Тема : New one
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5f8025da
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=754.fdn_ipv6@3:633/509+23e4ceb9
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=758.fdn_ipv6@3:633/509+23e586e1
Hello Deon,

On Friday October 09 2020 09:42, you wrote to me:

DG> Yup, any "x" bit number (where X is divisable by 8) is representable
DG> as a hex number.

Nope. There is no such limitation on "x". /Any/ "x" bit number is representable as a hex number. Even more: Any "x" bit number is representable in any base. Binairy, tetral, octal, decimal, duodecimal, hexadecimal or whatever. I can write numbers in base 32 bij using the digits 0-9 and the letters A-V. Or in base 36 bij using 0-9 + A-Z. The size of the base is only limited by the number of glyphs available for the "digits". If I also use the Cyrillic alfabet, I can write in base 69. Not easy to read, but mathematically there is no limitation.

MV>> If mailers and tossers think at all, which is questionable, they
MV>> think in nodenumbers, which are almost always represented to the
MV>> human in decimal.

DG> Yeah, but they lay out packets to be sent using filesnames that are
DG> named with a hex value, to represent the destination for the file.

Some software does that. Your point?

MV>> f1d0 is "hex speak", directed at the human, not the machine.

DG> Its cool isnt it that we can make a representable word from hex.

MV>> Anyway, you are breaking the convention and that can be
MV>> confusing. In your case it is clear because there is an "alfa
MV>> digit" in one of the hex number groups, but there are plenty of
MV>> hex numbers that only have the digits 0-9. How is the reader
MV>> going to know if it is hex or decimal?

DG> Why do they need to know? If I went with SLAAC, it would be even more
DG> confusing right?

SLAAC numbers do not have the "f1d0" marker in the first 16 bits of the host part.

Look, it is just a game among the members of the Fidonet IPv6 club. If you want to be a spoilsport and play your own game by using hex instead of decimal for the node number part, then ... then you are on your own...

'Nough said...

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)