FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 7402
= Сообщение: 6600 из 7402 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         27 Mar 21 12:17:03
Кому : Tommi Koivula                                       27 Mar 21 12:17:03
Тема : ipv6 live testing ?
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+605f1a03
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:221/360+605e064b
Hello Tommi,

On Friday March 26 2021 17:57, you wrote to me:

TK> From my memory... Or imagination... I think you have announced it once
TK> in some testings in the past? If not, a good guess. :D

Probably...

TK>>> That happens because Radius resolves the hostname and uses the
TK>>> ipv4 address, even when connecting via proxy.

So Radius /only/ passes the IPv4 address to the proxy and the proxy has no way to match that to an IPv6 address all by itself.

Coming to think of it: I have used a proxy server in the past. That was a long time ago. In the time of dial up internet via POTS. The machine with the modem (Win95) ran the proxy server so that other machines on the LAN could surf...  That was way before I even knew about IPv6.

MV>> 2) So this manual override works only for my node and to connect
MV>> to another node you have to make another override? IOW manually
MV>> enter a new line in the config for each node that is to be
MV>> connected via IPv6?

TK> Pretty much so when the node has also IPv4 address. But using an
TK> ipv6-capable proxy with Radius makes it possible to connect IPv6-only
TK> nodes too. :)

Presently there are only two nodes with the INO4 flag in the nodelist. Much less then I expected. I had expected providers would massively convert their customers to DS-Lite and at one time it seemed to happen. And then the tide turned, most IPv6 capable customers have full Dual Stack. I do not know of one single Fidonet system that is on a DS-Lite connection. That is for "fixed" connections. Mobile is another story.

So yes, Radius can be tricked into connecting to IPv6 only nodes. But each node must be individually configured. With only two this is doable...

So binkd has extra code to run with a HTTP style proxy and it passes the host name to the proxy so that the proxy can do the resolving. There is of course another significant difference between binkd and Radius. With Radius the limitation is in the application itself. With binkd OS/2 the limitation is in the OS. I suppose that in the hypothetical event OS/2 is updated to support IPV6, the OS/2 version of binkd just needs a recompile to also support IPv6...

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)