FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 7402
= Сообщение: 6986 из 7402 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         16 Jan 22 00:05:02
Кому : Anna Christina Nass                                 16 Jan 22 00:05:02
Тема : List of IPv6 nodes
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+61e356d6
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/5824.1@fidonet+f8670b96
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/5824.1@fidonet+f87ecad5
Hello Anna,

On Thursday January 13 2022 15:57, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> The transition to IPv6 should have been completed 10 years ago,
MvdV>> /before/ the world ran out of IPv4 adresses.

AN> You're absolutely right!

Thanks. But you end I being right does not change the reality that the transition is not completed and that we are past the point where it can be done without becoming ugly. Some of us will have to make do without a globally routable IPv4 address before IPv6 is the dominant protocol.

AN>>> And in my case, I don't have IPv6 at work, for example.

MvdV>> So tell your boss that he needs to prepair for the case that
MvdV>> when you are forced to work from home and can only be reached
MvdV>> via IPv6.

AN> :) I'm working for the local public library, a part of the
AN> municipality.

As a volunteer or as a payed employee? I think it makes a difference. As a volunteer you may have more influence and more freedom to make a difference.

AN> And as I'm living in Germany, I'm happy that I do have a working
AN> computer and not only a typewriter and a fax machine. Our library
AN> building still has some IBM Type-1 cabling (from Token Ring-days) that
AN> we're using for Ethernet via some adapters... I don't think that IPv6
AN> days will come soon here...

While you equipment may be old, I do not think it is hopeless. Even WIndows XP supports IPv6 and that IBM-1 cabling with ethernet adapter should be IP version agnostic just like any other type of network cable. .

So what is stopping you - other than a boss paying you salary - to do some updating?

MvdV>> I mentioned feste-ip.net didn't I?

AN> I didn't know that page, thanks for that info :)
AN> But I'm happy that my setup is working at the moment as I've set it up

Sure. But there is a reason I took an account with them. Five years ago, I figured there was a reasonable chance that I would loose my globally routable IPv4 address. That is why I ran the DS-Lite emulation experiments. I wanted to be prepared in case my ISP converted my connection to DS-Lite. It has not happened yet. But when it happens, I will be prepaired.

AN>>> But all my (own, private) servers do have IPv6 enabled and
AN>>> reachable for years now (and I also have the IPv6 T-Shirt from
AN>>> he.net *g*), so at least I'm prepared :)

MvdV>> The T-shirt...  I already showed you mine didn't I? How about
MvdV>> showing yours? ;-)

AN> Hehe, nice try :) I guess it's looking basically the same :)

The shirt, but my guess is the bearer will look different. BTW I have to confess I am not as young as I look on that picture of mine. It is over five years old. ;-)

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)