FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 30 Jul 24 21:26:35, всего сообщений: 7412
= Сообщение: 7004 из 7412 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         18 Jan 22 14:26:36
Кому : Anna Christina Nass                                 18 Jan 22 14:26:36
Тема : List of IPv6 nodes
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+61e6c495
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/5824.1@fidonet+f87ecad5
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/5824.1@fidonet+f89eea6c
Hello Anna,

On Sunday January 16 2022 12:53, you wrote to me:

AN> At least the use of DS-Lite ISP connections makes it a little more
AN> apparent to the customers that IPv4 has some disadvantages over IPv6
AN> nowadays.
AN> But I guess the vast majority of 'consumers' who only use simple web
AN> browsing, email and media streaming services won't notice it anyway.
AN> So in theory, the transition for those consumers can continue as long
AN>  as the services that most people use are reachable via IPv6.

Indeed, Auntie Gertrude won't even notice that she has been converted from IPv4 only to DS-Lite. Which is fine off course. My ISP tries to make the transition as invisible as possible for Auntie Gertrude.

AN>>> :) I'm working for the local public library, a part of the
AN>>> municipality.

MvdV>> As a volunteer or as a payed employee? I think it makes a
MvdV>> difference. As a volunteer you may have more influence and more
MvdV>> freedom to make a difference.

AN> No, that's my full time job (and I get payed - lucky me *g*).
AN> And although I'm in the IT department of the library, there are other
AN>  departments 'above' us who run the city-wide IT.

So you hands are tied. I have occasionally done some voluntair work and I found that I had a lot more freedom than when I was a paid employee. In the volunteer job, I was the "expert", no other experts above me. Plus that if I staeyed within the budget, I could just say: "this is how I am going to do it". Well, that was a long time ago, before IPv6.

MvdV>> So what is stopping you - other than a boss paying you salary -
MvdV>> to do some updating?

AN> Well, you're right (and yes, I know that even via 'real' Token Ring,
AN> you can use IPv6 *g*).

I don't think anybody has tried it, but yes in theorie it should be possible.

AN> My point was more in the direction of the mentality of German
AN> bureaucracy. Changes here take ages. We are still stuck to Microsoft
AN> (Windows, Office, AD... all the nice things that malware loves) and
AN> until this year we're still using Lotus Notes (Exchange/Outlook will
AN> follow ... *shiver*).

I do not envy you...

AN> And I'm trying to update things. We've moved out library management
AN> system to Linux servers some years ago (and now it's running much more
AN> stable and reliable than before) and are updating hardware as good as
AN> we can. But as said before, we're not on the top of the hierarchy in
AN> the  municipality, we are dependant on others who run the network. So
AN> we  can't move to IPv6 on our own :)

Here there is a directive that says all goverment websites (national, provicial and minicipal) must be reachable via IPv6 before 1 jan 2022. That goal has not been fully reached yet but if the library is part of the municipality it would be subedt to that directive. Here the public library is not (directly) financed by the municipality and so it is not subject to that diective, It does not support IPv6. :-(

MvdV>> Sure. But there is a reason I took an account with them. Five
MvdV>> years ago, I figured there was a reasonable chance that I would
MvdV>> loose my globally routable IPv4 address. That is why I ran the
MvdV>> DS-Lite emulation experiments. I wanted to be prepared in case
MvdV>> my ISP converted my connection to DS-Lite. It has not happened
MvdV>> yet. But when it happens, I will be prepaired.

AN> That's always a good idea!
AN> I could set up a VPN tunnel to one of my vServers, or use some kind of
AN> service that you mentioned, to be reachable from outside again. Let's
AN> see how all this will turn out.

Indeed, we will see how it works out.

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)