FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 7402
= Сообщение: 7343 из 7402 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         08 Oct 23 21:56:50
Кому : Nicholas Boel                                       08 Oct 23 21:56:50
Тема : My FTTH and IPv6
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+652313b0
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2401.ipv6@1:154/700+2987e446
Hello Nicholas,

On Sunday October 08 2023 07:47, you wrote to me:

NB> "Sometimes you need to directly contact your ISP, though, to have them
NB> set your ISP-supplied router to bridge mode."

Actually having the ISP set the modem/router in bridge mode is the normal way here. In some situations the customer can do it him/herself but that is the exception rather than the rule.

So...this route has been explored. In this case bridge mode is not available. Period.

NB> What is the model number? Maybe there's something else you could do
NB> that wouldn't require you to open your wallet.

Nokia XS-2426G-B.

The situation regarding ISP supplied CPE is a bit different in this part of the world than in Northern America. Here these boxes ae closed. Ever so often user acces is restricted and flashing it with other software is impossible. They run ISP specific fimware and for updates one is totally dependent on the ISP.

In theory there is the option of having one's own hardware. For dsl and coax thsi works uo to a point. But for this reatively new X-PON technology there is just very little or no hardware on the market. Yet..

NB> I looked up this XSG-PON and it seems to show some routers with 6 and
NB> 6E technology. Does yours have all this newer tech?

It supports WiFi 6..

NB> If so, I would fully agree that their supplied hardware should support
NB> IPv6 fully, not just basic.

It is not the hardware that is the problem. It is the ISP's firmware.

The FTTH market here is in development. Roughly a third of the households in The Netherlands has FTTH. The battle for the other two third is ongoing. Some of the new parties on the market have planting their flag on as many households as they can on top of their list of priorities. The quality of the service not.

My FTTH ISP is one of those. So I am not surprised. They have only very recently introduced IPv6 in their network. They had to. They ran out of IPv4. That it would not work perfectly on day one was to be expected. It is very simple, the IPv6 implementation of their CPE is broken.

At the moment I will just wait. I am not unwilling to open the wallet for an alternative, but for now I will just wait. I still have the cable connection operational. For now. I do not plan to let this situation of dual connectivity last forever, but I can ride it out for a while. But some day I will vote for one or the other. With my feet or my wallet..

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)