FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции UTF-8
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции UTF-8 с датами от 19 Apr 14 00:41:48 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 1367
= Сообщение: 228 из 1367 ============================================= UTF-8 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         08 Sep 16 00:40:48
Кому : Alan Ianson                                         08 Sep 16 00:40:48
Тема : Setup check..
FGHI : area://UTF-8?msgid=2:280/5555+57d09c05
На   : area://UTF-8?msgid=44.fido-utf-8@1:153/757.1+1c35b134
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Hello Alan,

On Wednesday September 07 2016 13:39, you wrote to me:

>> No CHRS kludge...

AI> No there isn't. Mystic doesn't add that either. It there a
AI> complication in that that makes it difficult for a BBS to add that
AI> kludge correctly?

All I can say is that my Golded does not display your message correctly because I have configured it to assume the default encoding for this area is UTF-8. Meaning that when a CHRS kludge is present it will use that to determine the encoding and assume UTF-8 when it is absent.

It is a kludge... Actually when there is no CHRS kludge the "default default" is plain ASCII. A message containing more than just plain 7 bit ASCII /should/ have a CHRS kludge. But what do you do when there is no CHRS kludge and there are non ASCII characters anyway? I assume UTF-8 for this area and CP850 for all others.

>> It doesn't look good on my screen because it is not encoded in
>> UTF-8 but in CP437 instead. You still need to do some tinkering to
>> get your system UTF-8 compatible...

AI> I still use CP437 here because the BBS software I use seems to depend
AI> on it. I have used a UTF-8 terminal at times just to see how it goes.
AI> I know that MBSE and Mystic can output in UTF-8 but they both still
AI> use CP437 or maybe LATIN-1 internaly as far as I know.

Actually that is DOS think. Windows uses UTF internally. So does *nix for a while.

AI> I need to figure out what keywords I need for golded to use UTF-8
AI> properly and then I'll try it again. I suppose I will still have
AI> trouble with BjÔrn's name on my keyboard though.

It is not the keyboard, it is the keyboard driver. All keyboard are basically the same under the hood. The labeling may be different. I use a keyboard with the standard US international labeling. I have added extra labels for the Cyrillic characters. The umlauts and accents I make with the "dead key method". The Dutch keyboard driver makes the keys for the single and double quotes, the circumflex and the tilde, dead keys on the first stoke. So to type the o umlaut in Björn's name, I first press the key for the double quote followed by the o. To type the accented e in André, I type the key for the singe quote followed by the e. To type the double or single quote itself, I press that key twice. It gets used to quickly.

* Origin: Bl─│f T├©n─│n (2:280/5555)