FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции UTF-8
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции UTF-8 с датами от 19 Apr 14 00:41:48 до 22 Mar 24 00:15:07, всего сообщений: 1365
= Сообщение: 444 из 1365 ============================================= UTF-8 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         06 Mar 17 12:51:49
Кому : Konstantin Kuzov                                    06 Mar 17 12:51:49
Тема : UTF-8 nodelist
FGHI : area://UTF-8?msgid=2:280/5555+58bd4d57
На   : area://UTF-8?msgid=2:5019/40.1+58bc52aa
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Hello Konstantin,

On Sunday March 05 2017 20:12, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> Yes, there is that risk. For my own net, I have minimised the
MvdV>> risk by only editing the UTF-8 version and derive the ASCII
MvdV>> version from the UTF-8 version with a SED script. So they are
MvdV>> always in sync.
MvdV>> http://www.vlist.eu/downloads/fidolist/ascifi.sed

KK> Sadly, that method wouldn't work for cyrillic names

I realize that a simple character by character substition that I use for my
net would not work in your case. It was just an example of how I did it.

KK> as there are several standards for names transliteration. Wiki
KK> mentions that there are at least five. Above that users often prefer
KK> using mixed versions and add something from themselves like 'v' ending
KK> becomes 'off'.

It would ultimately be the responsibility of the NC or in the case of large
nets, the hub coordinator to do it in such a way that satisfies the needs of
the sysops in the net.

I do not think there is a universal solution and I do not think there need to
be one. In the case of small nets like yours, an individual name by name
replacement will do. Like:

s/Смоленск/Smolensk/
s/Константин_Кузов/Konstantin_Kuzov/
s/Андрей Пахоментов/Andrey_Pakhomentov/
s/алексей_сивакофф/alexey_sivakoff/

KK> And it doesn't solve the problem if one of the segments were lost in
KK> transit or not processed by nodelist generator.

In the rare case that one of the two is lost and the other is processed, it
will be solved the next day, as the UTF list is distributed on a daily basis.

Where is that pioneer spirit of the founding fathers of Fidonet? Did Tom
Jennings first make an exhaustive list of what could go wrong, or did he just
launch the Fidonet Project?

We can spend all day inventing problems, or we can just jump aboard and see
where it gets us.

KK> Yes. So maybe for now the UTF-8 version needs to be derivative version
KK> of ascii version, not the completely parallel replacement. It must be
KK> generated from ascii segments and additional information like native
KK> names, locations and so on.

Whatever the NC of the net finds convenient. I see no justification for
"regulating". We can offer suggestions, but let the NC do the job his way.

KK>>> Just asked R50C about current state of NC's counter and
KK>>> expressed my desire to join.

MvdV>> Any response?

KK> Nope, not yet.

So keep nagging him. ;-)