FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции UTF-8
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции UTF-8 с датами от 19 Apr 14 00:41:48 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 1367
= Сообщение: 419 из 1367 ============================================= UTF-8 =
От   : Konstantin Kuzov                 2:5019/40.1        28 Feb 17 15:55:16
Кому : Maurice Kinal                                       28 Feb 17 15:55:16
Тема : Re: Is Synchronet UTF8 Ready?
FGHI : area://UTF-8?msgid=2:5019/40.1+58b5732e
На   : area://UTF-8?msgid=1:153/7001+58b4847d
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Ответ: area://UTF-8?msgid=1:153/7001+58b586d4
Ответ: area://UTF-8?msgid=1:153/7001+58b5d4c5
Ответ: area://UTF-8?msgid=1:153/7001+58b5efcb
Greetings, Maurice!

MK> I disagree.  It is probably the most unreliable source along with other
MK> misinformation that I won't get into in this particular echo but could
MK> easily atand as evidence why the above quote is disagreeable.

It is the ONLY currently available and more importantly already widespreed source. There are nothing else currently and I doubt will ever be.
Are you don't like currently used standard with "level" legacy? Make your own, implement that into all popular editors/gates, convince majority of fidonet users to switch. And we all will be happy. ^_^
But scrapping CHRS from messages isn't a solution, for example your current message clearly indicates that:

Google's compact_enc_det:
 [+] Confident: NO
 [+] Detected: GB18030
 [+] Charset: GBK

Mozilla's uchardet:
 [+] Charset: WINDOWS-1258

Extremely Naive Charset Analyser v1.18:
 [+] Charset: NOT DETECTED >_<

Extremely Naive Charset Analyser GIT:
 [+] Charset: UTF-8

Final result with WINDOWS-1258 you can see there:
https://fido.g0x.ru/?area://UTF-8?msgid=1:153/7001+58b4847d

MK> True.  However if only ascii and utf-8 text messages were the only
MK> supported encodings then verification is indeed possible and as a rule
MK> highly accurate

If only ascii and utf-8 codepages were used then any verification is not needed at all, because ascii symbols have the same positions in utf-8. But that's not the case.
Situation for cyrillic users is actually worse as UTF-8 can't be used there at all currently. Because all unicode message will be completely ruined by non-unicode ready editor. Not just some insignificant portion of it. And wast majority of users still use these ancient editors (>90% as least).

BTW using codepages other than CP866 also still prohibited by rules in majority of the ex-ussr echos.

MK> whereas with 8 bit encodings all bets are off and verification is a
MK> waste of time as well as unneeded.

Again why it need to verified? It is author's job to provide all necessary technical information needed for properly processing his messages on receivers end. If he doesn't want to then he is "Сам себе злобный буратино".

MK> Same with CHRS being a total waste of bytes as it means nothing and
MK> does nothing ... or at least *should* do nothing.

Really? Miserable additional 10-15 bytes per message in 2017 is a big deal? Great argument... Delete your useless tagline and you are done. ^_^
And your "nothing" mantra exists only in your imagination and has nothing to do with reality.

KK>> especially in fidonet where dominating codepage is CP866
MK> That doesn't make it right.  In fact I think it is a very good arguement
MK> as well as evidence as to what is wrong in fidonet.

What is right? All fidonet users must be using UTF-8 and only UTF-8? And what if they don't want to? Because you know... don't need to? They perfectly fine with current restricted codepage they are using for several decades already.
Also you said something about bytes, for cyrilic audience UTF-8 will bloat every message to almost twice in size.

KK>> My position didn't changed since then
MK> That is because we have discussed this before.  Now that you have been
MK> shown the errors of your ways

Which errors exactly? You weren't made a single argument, just a bunch of purposely garbaged messages and continue to produce messages whose prone to mojibake.

MK> I am positive that your stance is in dire need of adjustment.
MK> :::evil grin:::
Петросян...

--- Claws Mail 3.14.0 (GTK+ 2.24.30; x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
* Origin: Via 2:5019/40 NNTP (GaNJaNET STaTi0N, Smolensk) (2:5019/40.1)